My Clarus is on Fire!!!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BrandonTurner, Mar 17, 2006.

1. NO Literally , my Clarus was smoking and stopped working!

The other night I was at a rehearsal and I plugged my clarus into my cab as usual and then the wall. It made a wierd sound so i plugged it in another socket and then turned it on. No wierd sound so before I started playing I went into the hall to get a soda. I came back and found the clarus smoking and really hot. I unplugged it and am afriad to use it.
    I called rick at AI and sent it down for repair. I will hear about it next week.
    Anybody ever have a similar experience?

2. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I had a bag end 1 X 15 catch on fire at a gig once. The shop I bought it from replaced it.
  3. JonB

May 27, 2003
    My old Ampeg B1 once got hot enough to burn me, and trip the thermal switch. Turns out the power was wonky on that particular stage.
    I remember the drummer saying, 'your playing wasn't really that hot."
  4. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

I burned up two, yes two Harke 112 cabs in the space of 3 days. When I returned the second one I demanded a GK 410 in return cause I didn’t want to wait for another factory replacement. Funny part was when I returned the second one I help the sales guy carry the cab into the storage room, the storage room was full of burned up Harke cabs and combos. I guess they finally got the bugs out of those aluminum cones. I was in a metal band at the time and both times the speakers caught fire the audience thought it was part of the show :cool:
  5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I set my Strat on fire on stage at Woodstock one year. It was bitchin'
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    That's what all musicians do when they go on break. Don't worry about it ;)
  7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    All amplifiers are powered by Magic Smoke. If the magic smoke somehow leaks out of the amp it will stop working.

I'm sure Rick will pump some replacement Magic Smoke back into the amp and it will be fine again.
  8. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    It's a darn good thing I wasn't drinking milk when I read that ;-)
  9. bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Some musicians are too.
  10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  11. Well it turns out, I some how blew the power transformer in my Clarus IIR Series 1 . Pretty crazy. I sent it down to AI and Rick Jones took care of it. He said he had to make a few modifications and sent it back . Free of charge!!! I love those guys! I wish all company's were that good.
  12. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Where do you score that magic smoke :cool:
  13. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Must be an orchestral player ;-)
  14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    That's a myth! Don't ask me how I know....
  15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    So that's what orchestral players mean when they say that the orchestra has a new score.
  16. pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Mine is not smocking. But i find my clarus + getting quickly hotter than my Coda II. I ask Rick and it seems to be normal : more power in same box.

But your story afraid me a little now . I will unplug it during tasting my beer or wine in the future ;).
  17. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    That would be the new member of the Viola section.
  18. Did you find out why the transformer blew? I also have a Clarus and do not want to release the magic smoke.

Was the amp overloaded? Switched to the wrong voltage inadvertantly? Just a worn-out piece?

Thanks in advance!

19. No, I don't ask too many questions as I probably wouldn't understand anyway. Rick took good care of me when things when wrong though, so I don't worry.
  20. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    The magic smoke escaped my Clarus on Friday night. I've tried calling AI several times but haven't yet connected with anyone. It's an old model--the original Clarus--so I'm hopeful that they can put the smoke back in. I love this amp.