Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My college getting new studio.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Oct 5, 2004.

1. :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Yay!! It's almost done. Clackamas Community College is about to get it's brand new studio finished, and what a studio it is!!:D

There are 2 tracking rooms, A is 2500 sq feet and B is 600 sq feet, with 2 iso booths (not those crappy velco kind, either, realy concrete and foam jobs) The control room is about 450 sq feet, with an 18 seat theater behind the main console so students can watch. There is a 56" plasma screen for a main monitor, and 4 24" regular monitors for auxillary things. We are gettig ProTools HD3, and the big 128 channel ICON integrated console. Supposedly all 128 channels can be run at 48 bit sample rates, with higher rates for lesser channels.

Also, they are going WAY overboard on Pre-Amps. Appogee, Millenium, BluTube, everything!! Grand total they are spending close to $200,00 just on the gear!!:D

The cool part is that I ge to be a huge part of it. Most of the stuff is being bought from the Guitar Center that I work at, except for a few of the Pre-amps that they can't get a hold of.

I'm so excited I can't sit still (as you can see by the hyper smilies up at the top.) Week after next we get to move in, and 3 weeks after that the system gets installed. This is great!!

They are setting it up for most musical recordings, including film scoring. All of the rooms are wired for Video as well as audio, so pretty much eveybody and see everybody else at any time.:D

If you want more info, go to www.clackamas.edu The info is on the site somewhere.

Rock on
    Eric:ninja:

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Nice!

The studio at my college is significantly less formal. It was just proposed last year and we're still assembling it. It's right now in an unused storage closet (seriously). It definately has that basement studio vibe. But it's got a good amount of space, with some pretty hot equipment.

We have a Digidesign mixer w/ Mac G5 with dual processors and like 300 Gigs of memory! We're getting more stuff sometime soon...once we work out budgetry problems (oi vey).

3. That's kinda what we had. A small room off of the instrument rehersal area (can't call it a room, more like a wide part of the hallway) With 2 carts, one a Digi001 and the other an Alesis mixer and ADAT.

But it's much better now.:D

Rock on
    Eric:ninja:

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    My college is in the process of redoing our radio station at the moment, and after that we're doing a full blown studio as well.
    They told me they'll let me be in charge of bass department, which alone will have a $150K budget.

Congrats on your kickin' studio, hope it turns out as wicked as it sounds.

Ray

6. In December. I'll see if they have the plans online so you can see them.

Nice!! I think total for all the gear with have about $250,000. But I don't think we are going to spend all of it. Some is going to be set aside for maintinence and such, plus getting upgrades down the line.

Rock on
    Eric