1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My computer seems to be dead

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by colcifer, May 10, 2011.

1. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I'm getting the blue screen of death on startup. It's been on the fritz for a long time so I'm not surprised. It seems to be pretty thoroughly dead but if anyone has any ideas on how to resurrect it, please share (it's a toshiba satellite pro running xp, btw). Either way, I should probably be looking into a new comp; what's the word on the laptops of 2011?

2. well- how old is this computer, and what is the status of the hard drive? by this i mean have you flashed it and reinstalled xp, or are you past that? if its not that old a new hdd wouldnt be a bad idea; cheap. i would personally buy an hp if i were in the laptop market, but are you certain you want a laptop? and why?

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Depends on the BSOD. Normally though it's RAM or CPU, not HDD.

4. TobyBass55

TobyBass55

Dec 7, 2009
    MI
    Mine gave the blue screen on startup last week. It was a crashed hard drive in my case.
    On mine, I could tell it was the hard drive from running a hard drive diagnostic that is available on mine when I press f8 or f12 during startup.