My Dorm room setup - it's done!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, so this past weekend my parents brought down one of my cabs for my dorm room, which completed my dorm rig (that is, until I buy the T-Max off Gard :-X). Anyway, here's what it consists of:
    Ashdown Mag 200 1x12 combo
    Ashdowm Mag 1x15 cab
    Spector NS2000/5 (two, but one's for sale and not pictured)
    ESP M-IV
    Digitech BassDriver Overdrive/distortion
    EB Volume
    I absolutly love it! Here's a pic:
    I think every college student on the board should post their dorm room setups! It goes without saying too, that my roommate doesn't really appreciate it, but hey, he'll live. :D

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That brings back memories! Try not to get written up for being too loud. It happened to me a few times over the years! :cool:
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    It already happened...more than twice! We even had DB police here once... buuuuut that was when we were jamming outside and annoying professors in class.... :bag:

4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

And my Ped Rapture, which you've all seen before.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Your a Metal machine :D :bassist:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

very nice, did you know you have a meatball on the floor :D
  7. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
  8. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    What are the rules on playing in the dorm room? Like, how loud can it be without getting busted?
  9. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    My dorm rig: (Same gear in my profile)
    -Samick Fairlane 6-string bass with a Carvin flip-up battery compartment

-Ashdown MAGC210 combo amp

-Digitech BP80 bass effects processor. (I keep this, my cables, and other accessories in a plastic bin. I like things to be tidy.) I hardly use the thing since I feel the effects mask my note fundamentals but it's good for gags/experimentation.

Since I'm a graduate student, graduate housing at Rutgers allows me my own bedroom. I have 3 other housemates. I don't play through my amp that often, and even then it's not very loud. The guy in the room next to mine is a bassist too, so it's cool. He has a Yamaha BB series 5-string and an SWR Workingman's combo (but his amp is still at home.)

Our living room is huge, so holding jam sessions there shouldn't be a problem. I could care less about making some noise since half the people on my floor are really unfriendly, and the half that are would probably pop in and listen. Still, noise tolerances do depend on the school and the building.

And man, prunes and custard must be a pain in the neck to get out of carpet.
  10. Whats with college students and Ashdown amps? haha Well seriously are they something i should consider now that im looking into a professional stack between Mesa BB and Amepg SVT 5 pro? Just thought id ask this since all three people that have posted are using Ashdown setups.
  11. those are all killer setups, but what amazes me is how you can afford them! i'm in university and i bought a $600 (CDN!) explorer (it was worth every penny and then some) and a boos tu-2 when i was working 2 jobs in the summer and i'm eating rice and potatoes at school. hopefully i dont get scurvy because of it. :meh: great rigs though, especially the amps.... sweet
  12. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Buying used helps a lot. Also, Ashdown gear is sort-of cheap, but IMO, REALLY good gear. Loud, sounds good, and it lasts a long time. Something to look into beside Mesa and Ampeg if you like it for sure!
    Also, we can play as loud as we want really unless 1) someone complains, or 2) it's during quiet hours - 10pm-9am.

13. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Heh, my setup is f'n cheap. Granted, I bought it all while I was working...but early childhood education pays peanuts and I had a ton of other expenses, so I pawned a bunch of stuff on Ebay to buy this gear.

My bass only cost $300, used. $375 if you count having a Carvin battery compartment put in ($40) and a complete professional set-up ($35). (If you're in NJ, Rick Giarmo is the MAN!)

My amp? $340. I bought it on the last day when a music store was having a major Ashdown sale. Normally, said amp would be $450. Ashdown gives you a lot of amp for a wallet-friendly price.

My pedal? $80. It was marked down. I've seen this pedal sell for, like, $100 or more. I'm debating whether to sell the pedal or not since I hardly use it, but that's a different story.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'll get back to you on Tuesday, when ze Spector lands.
  15. That's pretty cool. I'm also in the dormatory life boat.

I have to run an extention cord across the room, and I have my rig in my closet. (Avatar 2x10, Ampeg svp-pro and QSC usa-850) I leave the bass in its case under my bed except for when I'm playing it. Sorry, no pics. (no digicam)
  16. thats funny that you said that...i have a GK 250BL head driving an Ashdown mini10T cab! i love ashdown...they not only have a good sound, but those blue speakers are cool! i also have my hambone fairlane bass, and my ART nightbass SE, supplimented by a boss RC-20, DOD FX25B, Boss Odb-3, sabine fuzztortion and overdrive, DOD DFX-9 delay, DOD FX20B phaser and my homemade feedback loop pedal!

i don't actually use all those pedals, i was just hoping to unload a few, like the delay and phaser, and eventually the nightbass, so i can get the line6 pod XT!

pics to come...
  17. [​IMG]

older picture, need to take some more recent ones, and with my new sansamp BDDI :)

Ibanez BTB406QM, Ibanez EDA 905, Ibanez TR-50 (i think), peavey firebass 700 with 410tvx (4ohm) cab, zoom 708 II pedal (not been used for a year or so now tho :p )

Im thinking of using my next lump of student loan to buy a second hand SVT II or SVT II Pro, is that a bad thing ? ;)
  18. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    This is why Im glad I go to school in my hometown!!! I got to college and have a house to myself :bassist: :bassist:
  19. NAH! I'm a college student (I'll post my apartment rig soon, since I'm no longer in the dorm) and I got a research fellowship last summer. I spent that stipend money on my Eden Metro, a Yamaha ho to mess aroudn with (which I LOVE), and lots of other stuff. As long as you don't need it for more important things and don't have a huge need to save just yet, I think it's okay.
  20. I wasnt expecting a reply to that :p , im getting one either way really, mwahahaha :)