1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My fingers are messed up

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TimboSlice87, Nov 29, 2010.

1. TimboSlice87

TimboSlice87

Nov 21, 2010
    My left index finger (fretting hand), looks like the skin has worn down leaving a string-shaped indentation on my fingertip. The same thing happened days ago to my pinky finger, which callused over but still a sort of flat spot, where the string hits my finger. Never had this before...could it be bad technique, or over-playing? I've been practicing for an audition coming up in a couple days. :bassist:

2. Several points to consider. 1. Is your action comfortable? 2.Perhaps strings need adjusting at the bridge or the truss rod needs adjusting.3. Ensure that it is tuned to a concert pitch keyboard - tuning up too high increases tension making it harder to press down. 4. Maybe you yourself are too tense. You will need to relax. Consistent daily practice should get fingertips hardened. Callouses should not happen if you build up continuously on a daily basis. 5. Remember too, that each fret is controlled by each of your four fingers so if you are playing like a rock guitarist, then fret 1 is pressed by index finger, fret 2 by middle finger, fret 3 by ring-finger and fret 4 by little finger. Fret 5 is index finger and so forth. Obviously, some techniques are exceptions to the previous. This will even out use. Beware of repetitive stress syndrome.

3. KsToaDangr

KsToaDangr

Apr 17, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    that sometimes happens to me if i'm holding down a fretted note for an extended period of time. it seems to be relieved if i switch to a different finger holding the same note every so often.

4. sayman

sayman

Dec 14, 2009
    That's called "Progress".

5. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Yeah it's part of getting started playing the instrument. my fretting fingers don't have fingerprints on the tips anymore:p same with the fingers I use for plucking.

6. Weird I never noticed that before. Same here. Small circles of no finger print. Hahaha

7. sayman

sayman

Dec 14, 2009
    I used to have that problem - but since I've lightened my touch, I don't seem to get heavy callouses anymore.

8. yrock

yrock

Oct 30, 2010
    I have the same dent on my index finger. I assumed all bassists did, lol. Its not like I look at others fingers. Now I am going to out of curiosity though. I do press down harder than is needed though...

9. sayman

sayman

Dec 14, 2009
    Every must play to their comfort, but you really don't have to use much pressure to fret a note. I was forced to change as I started having hand cramps and spasms as I got older.

"What a joy it is getting old..."

10. Have you considered flatwound strings?