1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first big buy! Fender vs Spector vs Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassvirus01, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Bassvirus01

Bassvirus01

Mar 5, 2013
    Hey All,

Firstly this is my first post on these forums, I've been visiting for ages but finally plucked up the courage to join in. Also if I'm in the wrong place just tell me where to go!

Who I Am
    The reason why I'm here is because I've got a big dilemma. I've been using a '79 Fender Precision Bass (inherited from my dad) for the past 12 years of playing since I've never really been in a position to buy my own bass. I do have a Gould J-Bass copy and an Ozark Acoustic but I don't count those as my "working" basses.
    But now I've finally saved up enough ££s for a decent guitar of my own. Plus the Precision has seen allot of mileage and I want to start preserving it, restricting it to studio use if I can help it.

I'm currently in an Alt-tuned Acoustic Folk band and have been for 3 years now. We've got a busy year of gigs coming up so now would be the best time to get myself my first big boys bass :D.

What I'm After

I've been looking for something with a clean but deep/punchy tone with nice crisp highs to cut through the 2 hard played acoustics in the band. Also something that has nice character and build a good groove shelf for the music.

So! This is what I've boiled down to!

• Fender American Deluxe Jazz (4 string)
    • Spector Euro 4LX
    • Spector Rebop 4
    • Warwick Corvette Standard 4 (Bubinga body)

I love the sound of the Spectors, but does the Rebop give the same tone as the Euro? The Warwick Corvette Bubinga has a lovely tone to it. The Fender is home turf really, but from what I've heard it doesn't quite match up to the bottom end tones of the Spectors and Warwicks or does it??

So, what do you guys think? If you think I'd be better with something else then please let me know! I'm open for suggestions. Also what sounds best with acoustic players? The USA Fender Jazz is at the MAX of my budget. Also the guitar shops local to me are pretty useless for bass choice so it'll have to be an online try and buy... which goes against the grain to be honest. That or I'll have a huge road trip on my hands.

Thanks all!

2. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    A Warwick Corvette (especially one with an onboard preamp) would have an insanely good tone when it comes to cutting and when it's soloed. The Warwick "growl" is how they describe it, but it's truly a very unique and present sound.

That's not to say the others aren't good either, but I find the Spector's use of EMG pickups to be a downside. The Am Fender Deluxe Jazz is nice as well, but overpriced in the states IMO (so it will probably be even more expensive for you since you used pounds as a unit of monetary value). Try them all out, but I'd suggest going with the Warwick if we're going sight unseen.

3. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    You might want to check out a Spector coda. Their coming out with the Korean made ones this year also. They don't have emgs, I'm pretty sure. So its worth a look, but I highly suggest going to play one for yourself if at all possible. They all have pros and cons. Imo, id go with a Spector euro.

4. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Of that list, Spector Euro 4, no question.

If you're playing against two heavy handed acoustic players, just listen to some Tantric. That's great Spector tone right there.

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Spector Euro

6. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    You can hang out in the Spector club and post your question, all the guys will help answer and give suggestions. You might even find someone who has a nice used bass or even locations to find some new stuff!

7. Bassvirus01

Bassvirus01

Mar 5, 2013
    Ok, so 1 vote for the Warwick Corvette and a lot of love for the Spector Euro, which is understandable!

Tantric is exactly the tone I had in mind. Or Days of the New rather but same bassist I believe? My only issue with the Euro 4LX was the price, it's only ~£50 cheaper than the USA Jazz but the Jazz comes with a hard case, strap locks and strap.

I am based in the UK, the sites I've been looking at are Thomann.de and GAK.co.uk.

Also, cheers for the suggestion Torn Bassist I'll check it out!

8. I'd vote the Warwick Corvette.

9. You do realize that you're already playing the "holy grail" of basses, right?

Having established that, I'd recommend that you take a look at a Musicman Stingray as well as the others that you're considering. It cuts through any mix, and with the onboard EQ you can get anything from zingy highs to warm dub lows and everything in between. There will be people who will tell you that the Stingray is a one trick pony... but generally these people haven't actually played one, and you can pretty much slop them in with the flat earth crowd who will also proclaim that you can only play jazz on a jazz bass...

I play blues, jazz, rock, pop and reggae on my Stingray... it sounds incredible. Do yourself a favour and check one out just for the hell of it.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I'd stay away from the Spector and especially the Warwick for no other reason than you'll take a huge hit on resale, eventually, compared to the Fender.

Personally, I hate "modern bass guitar," but that's beside the point. We're talking money, which actually means something beyond the usual nugatory gear-forum blah, blah, blah.

On the other hand, if your market is anything like mine, you could probably pick up a good used Spector or Warwick for a small fraction of their inflated new price. Let some other sucker take the beating on the front end. ;)

Good luck!

11. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    I love my Euro. It's true, you would take a hit on the resale if you bought it new. I guess that suggests that you get a used one :) I'm not a fan of the Warwicks, I don't like the neck profile. They feel a lot like a baseball bat to me. The EBMMs are cool but are 34 inch scale I think. The Spectors are 35. Scale is a pretty big factor imho. I guess thta you need to decide what scale and radius you want... those might make your choice for you.

12. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    Ps. Scale might not be that important if you are going the 4 string route. Often times, I suggest that people buy the scale that they are used to playing. It makes the transition much easier.

13. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    wait...you have a vintage p bass already? why bother with anything else?

14. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Fender Jazz. Between the two , you'll have everything covered.

Edit. For acoustic folk ? Save your money and keep using the P.

15. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2009
    RVA
    Here is my .02.... the Euro will definitely get you BEEFY bottoms and great highs I love my Euro... andother spector to look into is NS2A's are great for the buck.. also not many people have them but look into Dipinto Belvedere basses they have a standard and a deluxe .. THEY ARE AWESOME BASSES.. great feel and tone..

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Spector Euro 4 is the obvious answer. The others just don't belong in the same class and it would give you plenty of versatility with your P bass.

17. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Spector Euro, all the way.

As ddhm stated, look for one used.
    My used plum Euro was less than 1/2 the price of my new white Euro, and the same holds true for the USA models - my used amber NS-2 was about 1/2 the price of my new blue NS-4.

18. Topspin

Topspin What's my name again?

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I played Tom Sawyer with a pick once. Shame on me.
    Seems like you'll come away a winner with any of the three. I'm a huge fan of Warwicks, but you need to play one yourself for a while to know if it's for you. Some like the signature sound and feel, some don't. My corvette 5er is twelve pounds, and no one besides me has liked the feel of it's neck. That being said, most people have loved the tone.

I'm no help as far as Spectors go, but you don't see very many people that dislike them, so there's definitely something to be said for that.

The Fender jazz speaks for itself. :D

19. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    Just curious, if youre looking at the Euro 4, why haven't you considered a Warwick Streamer LX 4? I'd think it cop a more similar tone to both the Rebop and Euro than a Corvette would.

20. Bassvirus01

Bassvirus01

Mar 5, 2013
    Scale isn't really a massive issue for me, although a 34" would probably feel right to me as it's what I'm used to. In terms of width, I think I'd prefer a narrower neck but then, if it sounds good I'd probably just get used to it.
    EB Musicmans are definitely good basses, I played a 5 String Classic a few years back. But I'm not sure if it's got the right sound I'm looking for. I pit it against the Jazz in my mind, both are swiss army knife guitars. Particularly the newer builds and double humbucker version of the MM. But of the 2 I'd prefer the Jazz.

In terms of investment then, I understand I'd lose about 25% of the value as soon as I purchase a Warwick for sure. To be honest, at the moment there isn't a huge market for second hand Spectors at the moment so I'm unsure there.

This is the Warwick I had in mind, any thoughts on the price?
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_ps_corvette_std_4_bub.htm

Also! Just found this!
    http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/2006-warwick-thumb-bolt-on-4-string-bass/1011377425

Cheers for the help so far too guys! I'm a bit of a novice so all your opinions are a huge help!