1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first ever post! Man, do I need help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by capnjim, Mar 13, 2008.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Hello everybody....I'm new to this forum as I am new to the bass.
    I played geetar for 25 yrs, and i just switched to bass...I really like it!! I was born to groove. So, I sold a few vintage amps on ebay and now have 1000$ to spend on an amp.
    I play with a really loud drummer and a crazy guitar player who not only uses a Mesa MKIV, but he brings an extension cab!!
    This is in a small garage. So I want power, but flexability as well.
    I play all styles, I like to play reggae, but also do some slapping.
    Phew, that was long..so to the point..I have it narrowed down to 3 amps:
    Eden Nemesis 2x10-650$
    Yorkville bassmaster XS 400 2x10 combo. 600$
    Ashdown ABM-900, 1999 model.-550$(Plus I will need a cab)

I am pretty much sold on the Yorkville amp, but I just got an e-mail from the guy who has the '99 Ashdown ABM 900. Are older Ashdowns desirable? The Yorkville is actually 250 watts as-is..it needs an extension cab to be 400 watts..the Ashdown is basically more power than I need, but headroom is always nice.
    I'm hoping to get some good advice here..if not, still looking forward to hanging around with some fellow bass players.
    Thanks

2. i feel like the ashdown would have power that the yorkville cant even compare to

3. +1 in MY opinion A 2 x 10 aint gonna cut it! get at least a 4 x 10 or a 2 x 10 & a 1 x 15" or 6x10 whatever. I dunno re that Ashdown. I DID like the ashdown EVO II I played once. But have heard some reliability probs with some Ahdowns. Do a search on that Ashdown in the amps forum search feature.

4. I had the Eden combo 2x10 it would get hot and shut off I sold after two jams plus if you have a loud guitar player a 2x10 alone would be thin IMO. 2 2x10's or a 2x10 +1x12 or 4x10 would be much better

5. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I play an older Ashdown ABM500 head and just recently got a Yorkville 15" cab. I agree that the power of the Ashdown would probably be a good thing for you in your situation.

I very much like this Yorkville cab I just got, and even though it's "only" rated at 300 watts, it really cranks with the Ashdown and I don't think I'll ever end up putting all 500 Ashdown watts into it.

If you liked the sound of the Yorkville and that's why you're pretty much sold on it, a setup like the one I have might be up your alley.

Have fun with your bass playing!

6. If you have a 1000.00 you have lots of options, I would do a little more research. Good bang for the buck Avatar cabinets, Hartke heads ,and Carvin I hear has got much better over the years. I have a Hartke ha5500 it has 500 watts at 4ohms gobs of power and a Avatar 2x10 8ohm and a 1x12 8ohm for a little more low end with the horns disconnected. not a big tweeter fan. I love 10's and the 12 seems cool two. not a big fan of the 15, Avatar is not real expensive either, Check out there web page.

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    bass watts aren't the same as guitar watts. If you want the Yorkville, get an extension cab. THEN you'll have headroom against a Mesa and a loud drummer.

8. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    After playing in a death metal band with one of the loudest drummers I've ever heard, the 1x15 version of that Yorkville combo never once ceased to impress me. I don't think I got past noon on the Master volume. It's deceptively loud, if you know how to EQ.

9. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    when it comes to bass, there is no such thing as too much power.

10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't even look at that Nemesis or Yorkville heads.
    Ashdown....why not?
    You will likely need a 410
    2x15
    15 + 210
    12+15
    any of those should cut through.
    Do not boost the bass frequencies too much or you will run out of headroom too quickly and get lost in the mix