1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first tour.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Gutta Bassist, Dec 22, 2016.

1. What up!!!! I'll be going on my first tour in March for six months and I need some help. I need to know the what I will need as far as supplies, gear (large or small). Please share your experiences, good or bad, all will be a major help for me.

2. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    I would definitely bring a bass and at least one change of underwear :smug:

I really have nothing relevant to add other than I'm jealous.

Mvilmany likes this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Take care of youself. Tough hours, lousy food, boredom, lack of exercise, drugs. Get into a routine where you are eating decent and at least go for a daily walk.

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Get some sleep, watch the booze & drugs.
    Focus on what you are there for.
    Extra bass, strings,cables, etc...

5. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Spare fuses/batteries

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'd even say avoid the booze and drugs.
    It's not worth it.

Batteries and strings are always needed.

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Take less than you think you need especially clothes. If you're in North America or Europe you can pick up anything you decide you need. Anything that you absolutely can't do a show without is all I'd go out of my way to have. More stuff than you need on the road is a total pain in the butt....six months is a long time to be hauling around a bunch of crap you aren't using. On a long bus tour once I actually got so sick of it I sent a bag of stuff home.

Unless you're doing fly-ins avoid small cases for your gear. They go for a walk and get left at the gig a lot more easily than a single coffin type case will. It's also a helluva lot more convenient to have all your stuff in one case. Some of the larger rolling Pelican cases can work really well too.

Oh and it's not a bad idea to take all the exact same socks because you will loose them especially if you're sending your laundry out with a runner on show days.

WayneP and kittywithabanjo like this.
  8. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    strings, batteries, rubbers.

9. +1 on the clothes. You'll wear a lot less than you'd expect to.
    Gear wise - strings, spare cables, duct tape (x4), spare valves, extra kettle plug for your amp. Basic DIY kit - screw drivers, solder iron and solder, bass set up tools, electrical tape, batteries, super glue, little torch, wrenches.

Glow in the dark tape or rub off paint for pedals and EQ settings for dark stages.

I'd have a back up amp as well, 2 basses.