Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Fretless Fretboard...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeadSmurfs, Mar 1, 2006.

1. DeadSmurfs

DeadSmurfs

Mar 1, 2006
    Hey all, new here! :)

I've got a cocobolo fretboard on my JDrozd fretless bass, I'm using d'addario nickel roundwounds on it. I'm noticing that the roundwounds are starting to "imprint" themselves on my bass, do I need to get my fretboard epoxied? I thought cocbolo would be hard enough for roundwounds, or is this imprint normal? thanks!

2. It sounds beautiful from your description.

What you're noticing is scoring, which is going to occur to some extent on any wood fingerboard. Roundwounds will score the board more noticeably than flatwound strings, however, when steel (or nickel-plated steel) meets wood, it inevitably wins. This is a given if you've decided to play a fretless bass.

For tone and a bit of fingerboard protection, I would suggest a good paste wax every now and again to renew the finish on your fingerboard and keep it looking glassy (as well as help protect it). Cocobolo (as you said) is a very tough member of the rosewood family, and it should stand up to quite some time before needing a fingerboard dressing or re-leveling.

Enjoy it, play it, and don't sweat the scoring marks. You'll wear the fingerboard down more slowly, however, if you learn to use correct technique and have a lighter touch on the strings. Digging in with your fingering hand doesn't help tone or intonation (or just about anything else).

Take care,
    Jay

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    TB member Eli recommends Elixir roundwounds on a fretless. The coating seems to wear the fingerboard less...

4. normal. as noted without even thinking about it in the previous two posts, if you want to sound cool and use the hip lingo for a fretless it's called a fingerboard and not a fretboard. but potayto potato. have fun.

5. I disagree. A fretboard has frets- hence the name. A fingerboard- well, I hope it's self-explanatory.:ninja: Hip lingo? I call it 'proper terminology'. I don't know much, but I know this one.

BTW, I'm NOT bitter. But don't you DARE say 'expresso'.

6. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Or "conealingus"

7. Chazzz

Chazzz

Jan 27, 2006
    Spokane, WA
    Or "relator", or "nuculer" or "jewlery" But I'm not obsessive-compulsive...

+1 for "fingerboard" and proper terminology; +1 for "normal wear"...

8. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Dude, no need to worry. My 6 string fretless Warrior had string marks on it the first week i had it. Eight years later, I've still never had to refinish it. You should be fine. Welcome to the wonderful world of fretless. Peace