1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Fretless Stingray is Here with Pics!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crabby, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I ordered this baby sight unseen from Bass Northwest in Seattle. I paid for it on Saturday, they shipped it Monday afternoon and it arrived at my door the next morning! Shipping cost me $70 so I was really impressed with the service. She is a pretty rare lefty SR4 "blank plank" and is the exact bass I have lusted after for years. I have been searching for a used one forever and was amazed to see this listed on their web site. It arrived in a non original but brand new case and was impeccably packed for shipping.

After a "spa" treatment of lemon oil, polish and new strings, she is a growling snarling monster of a bass. I could not be happier. At about half the cost of a new one, this was a find of a lifetime for me! :bassist:

EAcabetc228.gif

EAcabetc227.gif

EAcabetc229.gif

EAcabetc223.gif

EAcabetc224.gif

EAcabetc226.gif

EAcabetc232.gif

EAcabetc231.gif

2. she looks sweet man...post some clips . Lets hear her man !!

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Congratulations. It's got character... :cool:

Pretty impressive that you were able to get it delivered across the US - Canada border in less than 24 hours. I'd thought that kind of thing was just about impossible.

Nice to see that someone else also believes in using polish on his instruments. I'm a big believer in keeping my bass guitars clean and well-conditioned at all times. It's a mystery to me why so many others apparently don't... :confused:

MM

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Cool! I dig the vintage look.

5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It's backwards, eh?

6. It's nice and all, but they made it backwards... :bag:

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    that thing is AWESOME and so clean, you'd never tell it was used.

8. They've put the neck on the wrong way....

Nah, she's a beaut! Very nice. How does she play?

9. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    She' s nice. Only $70 for shipping eh?

Fred

10. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    Very nice. The fretboard looks to be in really good condition.

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    She does play well but I have not mastered the perfect setup of a fretless yet. I have the neck set for very little relief and the action quite low but am not quite getting the "mwah" sound I want to hear yet. Other, then that, the bass plays like a dream and has the same great punchy tone as my fretted SR4.

The shipping was a total surprise as Fed Ex ground was supposed to take 10 business days. However, Seattle is only a 2 hour drive from here but I still can't believe it arrived so fast. Also there were no taxes, customs fees of any paperwork attached to the bass to suggest that it had gone through customs. The fed ex folds advised that it may have simply been allowed to go through or I might receive an invoice in the mail later.

I will update if I receive a bill but that seems like a strange way to process a package for sure. My experience bringing in a bass from the US was pretty good using USPS but horrible using UPS as they charge Canadians a fortune in "brokerage" fees. In both cases I had to pay taxes but not duty. However with UPS, their brokerage fee was another $60 added to the taxes making the bill owed upon delivery about $125 which was pretty crappy after spending about $70 on shipping.

I hope I lucked out with fed ex but if they are free to bill you later, then I may still get hammered. Other then that, the bass was a great price, is in fantastic shape and is exactly what I had one day hoped to find.

12. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Quite a score... looks to be in terrific condition.

You'll love it... my SR5 fretless gets played A LOT. Don't know if you have favorite strings for fretless, but if you want lots of 'mwah' DR Sunbeams or GHS Slickrounds will do it. If you're not looking for so much of that quality D'Addario Halfrounds sound killer on that bass... more high-end clarity and better articulation than straight flats, but plenty of thump and fundamental.

Have fun!

On edit: You're doing the right thing with your setup. Get the fingerboard as close to dead flat as possible, and drop the action as low as you can and still get a defined pitch when you depress the string, and that will be your max-mwah setting.

13. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Thanks for the tips. I put new Slinkys on the bass as that's what I use on fretted basses but they are nickle as opposed to stainless so maybe I need some stainless strings for max mwah. I will play with the setup a bit more and try to find the sweet spot.

14. Nice bass, but I bet it sounds awful through that rig...

:D :p :bassist:

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Maybe. But probably not...

IME, the string structure more than the string material is what most influences the "mwah" factor. For maximum mwah, roundwounds (nickels should be just fine) are much preferred over flats... :meh:

MM

TMARK likes this.
  16. Johnius

Johnius

Dec 5, 2007
    Wow. Wow. Wow. I'm a lefty ray player, too, but not fretless. Would you be so kind as to throw up a sound clip? I would love to hear it.

17. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Congrats on a beauty!

Hey, if it's the difference between a ruined axe from the shipper kicking it to the curb, or $70 and safe, next day arrival, who's to say? I would hate to get a ruined axe in a box...

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Looks way cool to me! Congrats!

19. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have no way to make sound clips sorry. The tone is all Stingray for sure. I had a Carvin fretless for awhile and still have a Mexi jazz fretless but this is the first fretless bass that I am already comfortable with and love the tone!

20. apa

apa

Mar 28, 2010
    Glastonbury, UK
    Now THAT is what I want. My next one is going to be a fretless and I've always fancied a Musicman. But heres the question......

I've trawled the net for days and cannot find a Ray34 version!! :crying: So does anyone know if there is a Ray34 fretless knocking around????

I need this to make my life complete and die with a smile on my face :cool:

A

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021