1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My friend got mugged this weekend

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Armueller2001, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    So a friend of mine was walking a girl home in a shady part of town and on his way back someone approached him and demanded his wallet... he grabbed the guys arm and was about to beat his ass (he's a powerlifter) when the guy put a gun to his head and told him to let go. Needless to say he surrendered his wallet, and followed the assailant's commands to walk away without turning around.

I'm just confused at the whole situation... It's illegal for felons to own weapons, and illegal for civilians (in this state) to carry them outside of their home or car. I mean, maybe the mugger was an off duty cop? That has to be it... or maybe he had a non-resident CCW license from another state and he forgot that it's illegal to carry in Illinois...

It would have been sweet if my friend had a knife and stabbed the guy in the neck.

2. WarofAges

WarofAges Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    I think I saw this quote here on talkbass some where..."Gun control is like fighting drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to buy cars.

The majority of crimes committed with a firearm are done with illegally owned firearms.

Anyways, i would have just jabbed the guy in the throat in that situation(unless the gun was already pulled)

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    In the words of the Chemical Brother's. . .

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Worst veiled attempt at pro-gun thread by OP yet. And that is saying something... :)

5. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Well, it is a true story. And I didn't see anything in the post that was pro-gun.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So you're saying that even this part is true:

:eek: If so, i've been giving your opinions too much credit until now.

7. you need :help:

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda, baby change your mind.

9. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Maybe that part was mentioned with a hint of satire... but the story about the mugging is true lol :D

10. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep.

11. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I don't mean this to sound disrespectful, but why would you expect a felon to obey the law and not carry a gun because of it being illegal? A felon with bad intents would probably be the first person I'd expect to be packing.. I mean the whole reason people become convicted felons is because they have broken some law(s) somewhere along the line.. Unless of course they've been wrongfully accused and prosecuted and are not actually violent or criminal by nature..

Anyways though, I'm sorry to hear that your friend got mugged and I'm glad to hear he wasn't injured or killed in the process of being robbed by an armed assailant..

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    What exactly is a power lifter and what need do they fill in society? :)

I am just imagining everyone down at the factory:

"Oh no, the forklift's broken down and we need to load these crates of cabbages on the truck before lunchtime."

"Man, we're totally stuffed, what can we do?"

"If, only we had a power lifter here."

"Wait, isn't Steve a power lifter?"

"Why yes, yes, I am, let me just get my leotard on.......aaaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhh......there...all done."

"Thank you Steve, how would we have coped without your power lifting abilities".

:)

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Well, they're more useful than lawyers....

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Really, I would have have thought a mature gentleman such as yourself may have required the services of a lawyer more often than that of a power lifter. Then again, I have no idea what your lifting capacity is. Do you need a power lifter often? :eyebrow:

Remember when the Supreme Court was considering the DC gun laws. Its a little known fact that instead of getting lawyers to argue the case, the first choice was actually power lifters. However, due to lifting requirements elsewhere, they had to fall back on the lawyers.

I know i've often debated with myself, when buying a hosue, whether a lawyer of a power lifter would be more useful. Its a tough call sometimes.

Now, can you give me a hand, I need to move a fully loaded bookcase? :)

15. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Mark, are you drunk? Nobody here makes fun of your hobbies, why would you feel the need to make fun of somebody else's?

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ummm....

In any event, its just a bit of light hearted banter about a description of a non-member of TB which I found amusing (I still am not clear about what a power lifter actually is - presumably a type of weight lifter?). People on TB (especially in OT) make fun of other peoples likes, interests and hobbies all the time. Just look at the Prius thread for an example. OTOH you took a direct jab at my career? Are you drunk? :)

For the record, I am not, its 10:30am here. :)

17. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Oh, so it's ok for you to make fun of others, but nobody can make fun of you? I just want to be clear.....

I mean, you're a lawyer - you must have heard all this before....:)

Even Shakespeare had something to say...

18. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Where did I say that? You were the one throwing out the "are you drunk" accusations. I was engaging you in the light hearted discussion and then you went all serious.

You are welcome to make fun of me. I have never stated otherwise. Not sure where you are getting that from. But at least be consistent. Don't say nobody makes fun of anybody else ['s hobbies] and accuse me of being drunk immediately after making fun of me. ;)

Of course, and you are welcome to continue, just as long as you are happy to recognise, as I do, its a two way street. :)

20. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    My mistake, then...guess I just missed the smilies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.