Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My German Bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by glivanos, Jul 17, 2005.

1. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I have a German bow that came with my bass that I bought back in the early 70's.

I never got the hang of it and I would really like to trade or sell it towards a decent French bow. I'm using cheap ones now and I would really like to upgrade.

Can anyone suggest where in the Phila area I can get an honest appraisal of what it is worth?

I have some pictures of it that I can email if anyone wants to see it.

Can't quite get the hang of posting pictures on this site yet, I keep getting the 500 k limit message.

2. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I have a French bow (made in Germany) I'd like to trade for another German bow. Send me a message if you're interested.

- Steve

http://kaybass.home.att.net

3. glivanos

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Thanks Toman for the tip. I will check it out.

4. glivanos

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Still looking to trade my German bow for a decent French bow.

I sent a few pics to Gary at Upton bass who thinks its a factory German bow. I've had it since 1972 when I bought my carved top bass.

Gary told me based on the pictures he thinks its worth about $200 to $400.

I can send you pics if your interested on trading on a french bow of similar value if you email me at glivanos@aol.com or just pm me.

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Try Fred Oster. He deals with a few bows. He is also known as vintage instruments.

6. glivanos

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Thanks for the tip Ken.

I'm actually in Havertown, PA. I'll try Fred and maybe Bob Riccardi in Pennsauken NJ to see if they are interested.