Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My goodbye : For a while

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Oct 15, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    i was fired. I had bills mounting up, my company downsized, and I was the recipient of some very bad news. I have an apartment with a lovely girlfriend I live with. This news breaks my heart because I now feel lost. And of all the cool bass stuff I just got, and all the great bassists I've met in the past 2 years on this site, the first answer I could come up with the help alieviate the first few months of financial problems I may be facing is to get rid of all the great gear I worked so hard for.

I have not been in a band for a while, I was playing mainly for pleasure. I am literally in tears writing this because it hurts how I will mis the community. I will stop in, but all my gear will be for sale here to all TB'ers first, then the remnants will be off to the bay as I hunt down new work.

I THANK ALL of you for holding together the greatest DAMN COMMUNITY the web has every seen. Bass on all my brothers. I leave you all for a while with a heavy heart, but I will be back in the future. (maybe with a squire and crate amp.. lol)

Thank you all again.
    ~AJ Guerra

p.s.
    All my gear will be in the classified forum :meh:

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Man! Sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you. Here's hoping you get a new job ASAP.

3. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Thank you very much E.. you've been one of the greatest around here.

ALL the Mods, you are all my idols. I am only 20, but I will look up to you all for insperation to reach my full potential , and hope to grow to be the men you are.

4. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    hey man you still got many years ahead of you, Ive seen some bass players sell all their stuff for financial reasons and came back better than ever, so theres still hope, just dont forget.

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope everything works out for you. Come back and see us.

6. Man, that´s a drag, but I´m sure things will get better sooner rather than later. And hey, although top end gear is nice, you don´t really need money to make music.

Keep on groovin´ (even with an air bass, if nothing else)! :bassist:

7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Dude. Sorry to hear about that, Man.

I wish I had an old junker bass I could lend you (I just say 'lend' because you couldn't feel guilty for not selling it then). As it is, my main and only bass already IS a junker (a beat-up old Foundation), and my amp is already lended to ME from a freind!

C'mon Bass Brothers - a couple dozen bassists can't come up with something for him to keep his chops up with?

Joe

8. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Stay optimistic about the future as you're only 20.
    Imagine being in your present position at 50. (Many people are)

My advice, get your resume really together and get on monster.com.
    Then practice your interview skills (questions/answers) like you practiced your scales. Your local bookstore will have a couple indispensible volumes on the subject.
    Sell what you have to sell slowly as a last resort.

Remember, you're 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Relax, you'll be fine!

Best of luck.

P.S. Monster really is the stuff. If you have the time to interview you'll be back to work within 6 weeks with Monster.
    (No, I don't work for Monster but it's worked for me 3 times, once being re-hired within 3 weeks of being downsized while our economy was at it's worst. Keep the faith!)

Also, downsizing DOES qualify you for unemployment compensation!!

9. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Sorry to hear that. Best of luck and I'll pray for you man. Hopefully you can find a job before you have to sell all your gear. Good luck and God Bless.

10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    AJ - I see you're in Fla. - is your former company's downsizing a result of the hurricanes?

If it is, you might find that some different rules are in effect.... possibly, for example, unemployment benefits available to folks who wouldn't qualify under normal circumstances, etc. Also, if you contact the folks who are sending those bills and advise them that you lost your job because of a hurricane (or if you even think that might be part of the reason), they *may* be receptive to easing the pressure until you get re-employed.

Ask around.

And BTW - I do have a few budget basses that don't see much playing time, and I will be making trips to Orlando in December and February. If you sell your gear and need a loaner, PM me. We can work something out.

11. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Man, don't worry ... I'm sure that sooner you'll get a good job and buy everything your heart desire!

12. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Sorry to hear this man, but remember, it's likely only a small (yet rough) bump in the road. The fact that you're only 20 makes things soooooooo much easier for you to bounce back. Best of luck and keep the upper lip starched.

13. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Sorry to hear the bad news AJ, hang tough and keep looking. I went through the same sort of situation a couple of years ago and it all ended up working out. Gear is gonna come and go, you will eventually end up with better stuff but I sympathize with you. I would want to sell my stuff either.

14. Good luck finding a new job. Don't worry about the gear, it's only stuff. It can always be replaced.

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Now THERE you go!! Thanks, Bigbeef. TB has been very helpful to so many, but 'talk is cheap' - here we see someone willing to go out on a limb for a fellow. Helping someone to play a better bass line is good, but here we may have opportunity to make the difference as to whether someone plays AT ALL.

Let's not forget that these are real neighbors at the other end of that data cable.

Inspiring, Man -

Joe

16. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Please accept my sincere best wishes on finding another job.

Just remember that you don't have to have a bass to participate in this forum, just being a bass player and having access to a computer is all it takes. It seems that every time I've had a set back in my career it has eventually worked out for the better. I know it doesn't seem like it now but you may just find that fate has dealt you a better hand than you already had. You may be down, but you're not out. Keep the faith.

Larry

17. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Not really that big a deal, dude. The wife has been ragging on me to unload some of this stuff, I have some cheapies I don't use, and I'm heading in that direction soon.....

18. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I know how you feel, I was laid off in April this year, I was
    devistated. To be cut off from your income, just like that.
    The best advice I got was to register for unemployment as soon as possible, cause it takes so long to get. I registered
    the very next day on-line. I also had to sell gear to survive.
    I had to sell my 1978 Fender Antigua Jazz Bass and most of my Hot Wheels collection.The Jazz went to a good home, but I will always miss it. I started calling everyone
    I know and started looking for a job. I stayed up in spirits by
    going out and jamming at local blues jams, and I stayed in touch with the owner of the company, and wound up getting
    a job at the same company I was laid off from 2 1/2 months later, but a lower job.
    At a way lower pay rate. But It was still more than unemployment and I stayed on there Major Health Insurance.
    I am still looking for a better paying job, but the job market around here is awful.I also live with my girlfreind and she had
    to go back to work so we could survive, I was making good
    money and she did not have to work before I got laid off. Now with both of us working we still do not make as much as I was before.
    Keep your spirits up, and do not let it get you down, make sure you and your girlfreind talk over everything. Money
    can be a relationship killer, so be sure and have good communication. Life is full of up's & down's, things will get better. Keep a good attitude.
    If you have to cancel your internet, do what I did and go to
    the local public library and you can get on-line free.

19. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    My advice would be to not sell *all* the gear. Keep a bass and an amp you could practice/gig with. Get in a band and try to start playing paying shows and move that money into stock? bonds?...an idea that's easier said then done :/.

Hope things end up working out.

20. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    My heart is with you. I've been through a "downsizing" and I'm still on the edge.
    Hang tough. Do what needs to be done.

John