Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My guitarist keeps down tuning

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by remainthesame, Mar 31, 2013.

1. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    Hey guys, I would love to hear what you all think about this.
    I am a 5 string player, and I have been for most of the time that I've played bass. when I joined my current band about 2 years ago, my guitarist played in drop Bb on a six string guitar. I suggested that he should get a 7 string and play in drop A, I told him that his strings wouldn't be as floppy and its only a half step lower. After rejecting this theory for months he finally decided to go with a 7 and we changed our tuning to drop A.
    Now hes tuning his low B down as far as he can. He claims he wants an 8 string, and to play in E. I keep trying to explain to him that I cant go that low. I keep telling him that the E he wants to go to is the lowest note on a four string bass. He keeps saying "play the octave" but then I wouldn't ever have any use for my B string, so I'd pretty much end up having to buy a four string. His upgrade will force me to downgrade.
    What do you guys think?

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut

Jul 5, 2010
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Just play in the same octave.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    You could still use your 5 string no reason not to, I haven't never tuned below drop d I don't like floppy strings and not gonna let a gui**** effect how I want my bass to feel

5. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    I just dont see the point in having a bass player if youre going to be able to reproduce the lowest note on a four string.

6. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Chester, Pa.,USA
    Because like, it soundz heavier, man. :rolleyes:

7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Got to agree with the above. Sounds like you have a selfish guitar player. It's all about him.

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Sounds like your guitarist is already the bassist in your band. Offer to play guitar in his project.

9. Ragoo

Ragoo

Oct 14, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    I think at this point, we can safely assume that your gui**** just wants to play bass.

10. Ragoo

Ragoo

Oct 14, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Whoa.

11. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    I love this band but I would seriously have to consider leaving if he gets an 8 string, i dont want to have to dumb down my playing because of him.

12. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    haha ive joked around about that with him. i asked him how he would feel if i could hit higher than his highest note. he said hed tell me to buy a guitar, so i told him he should buy a bass

13. Personatech

Personatech Supporting Member

I have to agree with what others have said regarding your guitarist but I have to ask: since when is moving from 5-string to 4-string a "downgrade?" :eyebrow:

14. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    im not trying to insult the 4 string players out there, in fact sometimes theres nothing i like more than breaking out the ol 4 string and slapping away. but for me, i have a lot of parts in this band that require me to use all 5 strings. i wouldnt be able to play the same on a four string

15. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Some bands down tune. If you're not interested in playing that low, I certainly wouldn't be, than it may be time to find another project to work with.

On the other hand, you may find that you get into it after a bit of experimenting with your tuning and setups.

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    There was a Warwick model a few years back tuned F# B E A. (I.e.: an F# below the low B on most 5s.) You could try to track one of those down.

17. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    im all for down tuning. ive played in a lot of wierd tunings, but eventually you reach a point where its too low. you can always go the next half step lower and it will always sound slightly heavier as a result. but eventually youre going to sound like mud

18. Unless you like mud, may be play with someone else or switch to keyboards?

19. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Agreed. He wants low E? Tell the "guitarist" to get one of those new Fender Pawn Shop Bass VIs or equivalent, and then you're free to play guitar over top him :p

Or, tell him to stop turning the whole band's sound into mud, and to tune up. Past a certain point, there is absolutely no reason for that extreme downtuning.

--

20. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Bass and guitars in the same octave certainly works for some (most famously Meshuggah), so I wouldn't rule it out completely. There might be some fun to be had there.

21. Just because it works for Meshuggah doesn't mean everyone should do it.

They seriuosly should put "Don't try this at home"-stickers on their albums...