1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Hartke amp sometimes malfunctions..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mattheus, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Hello,
    has anyone here had this problem:
    My Hartke LH500 amp sometimes doesn't work for a few seconds. Then it turns back on again. The amp is still under power, the cables are all fine... he just misses a few few seconds and then he's back again. No cracks or scratchy noises... But VERY irritating!!
    I love this amp for all it's simplicity and power.... But I know from experience that looking for the reason for this malfunction can be a big problem. (In a workshop all amps work fine...)

What I've checked so far:
    - powercable + fuse
    - signal cable
    - speakecable
    - new tube

Nothing works.... HELP...

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Plug an instrument cable between the effects loop in and out to make sure one of the sockets is not dirty.

Larry should chime in soon with some better advise!

=wr=

3. funnily enough, my old lh1000 did this too. However, I put it down to cable and jack quality but, worth checking inputs for dirt.

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Could be a bad solder joint. Poke around in there with a chopstick (or something else insulated) while the amp is on and see if you can trigger the problem. Also check all detachable internal cables; wouldn't hurt to disconnect/reconnect them a few times to wipe off any corrosion, especially if you live in a high-humidity area, even more so if your location routinely experiences salt corrosion.

5. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
    Hey Mattheus,

Try cleaning your effects loop jacks with some contact cleaner. If that doesn't work just call my service manager Frank Cardello at 1-800-328-2882 (New York) and he will get you fixed up.

I wouldn't go poking around inside the amplifier because you might damage something. Don't worry it's just a bass amplifier it's not a Mars lander, we can and will find the problem and fix it.

If you need further help you can contact me 201-680-8153 or lahartke@comcast.net.

Thanks for playing Hartke!

6. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    Same thing happened to me as today, but with the passive input jack. active is fine, but nothing out of the passive. Tried a de-oxidizer, compressed air to blow out any dirt. nothing.

7. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
    Mattheus,

I see that you are in the Netherlands, my mistake. Please contact my distributor in the Netherlands and they will help you.

Total Sonic B.V.
    Boekweitstraat 1B
    GK Nieuw-Vennep
    Netherlands
    Phone: +0252 629 340
    Fax: +0252 629 364
    Email: info@totalsonic.nl

8. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Has anyone ever compared the LH1000 to the old Alembic F2B Preamp/ power amp rig.. I always loved those Alembic Preamp on a bass rig.. i still use mine occasionally

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I haven't but the LH1000 does have the Fender tone stack like the Alembic. And apparently so does the Kilo (tried it out last week and sure sounds like a Fender tone stack to me).

10. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I know this may sound stupid .. but I had my LH500 drop out only when I hit the largest string (E). After changing cables, ac plugs, banging on the amp etc. it turned out to be a dying 9volt battery in my active bass.

11. Well, here's an update about my situation:

Because of a busy agenda (which is something to be proud of these days...) I didn't have the chance to bring my amp to the distributor in The Netherlands.
    So I had to endure the occasional drop-outs during the gigs......
    But I also followed the advices given to me by some fellowbassplayers on this forum (tnx for that!!!!) and I also cleaned the tiny air-hole in the front for a better airflow... and guess what; the drop-outs still occur but not as often as it used to...
    This brings me to the idea that it might be a case of overheating???
    In a few weeks from now I will have the chance to take my rig out of the tour-van and pull the amp out of its case to bring it to the distributor...
    for the meantime; thanks everybody for the great help, and Larry, thanks for the address and most of all thanks for making great gear!

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Could be that the amp needs to be vacuumed out to get rid of accumulated dust and crud. A vacuume with a crevice tool and a new paintbrush can get most of the offending stuff out. Wear a mask when doing this - you never know just what has built up in there. :(

13. Perhaps I should do that, before I take it to the distributor. Hopefully it solves my problem.

14. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    If the amp is overheating, a temporary fix (until you can bring the amp to the Hartke distributor) could be to purchase a small, external fan and set it up to blow air onto your amp. I've seen this temporary fix used with computers, to help them stay cool. It might help you until you see the repairman.

Good luck from the U.S.A., Joel