My latest composition

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steven Melensen, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    Hi Michael and Steve! First of all, I would like to say that I am a big fan of your music. Since I have the chance to talk to you, I would like to have your comments on my latest composition : "Eternal Waterfalls". It's a video file and to download it you must click on the free icon at the bottom of the page and then on the next page the file will be avalaible at the bottom.

Link :

Well that's it. Thanks in advance for listening.
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Cool video. The 34MB file was a little slow going to download but I am glad I checked it out. The runs on around 5:30 were pretty awesome to me. Nice tone too, what type of equipment were you using? Was the sound recorded with the camera built in mic or something more sophisticated?
  3. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    My bass is an Alembic and I use my little pratice amplifier wich is a Dean Markley (it's a really cheap one, but it sounds good when the volume is at a low level). The sound was recorded with an AKG D112 (a bass drum mic) and I use the program Sonar 2. I use a little reverb (unplugged reverb) and a special graphic EQ (that are in Sonar), but other than that, there is no effect. Then my friend mixed the video and the audio with a program that I don't remember the name.
  4. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Pretty slick. Thanks for sharing.

Love the tone on the Alembic.
  5. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Steven. Very nice performance!
  6. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    Thanks for your comments guys, I really appreciate it. And thanks a lot Michael, you are one of my biggest inspiration when it comes to bass playing and thanks for taking the time to watch this vid.
  7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Good stuff... it really seems like you can get out the ideas in your head and put them on the bass. I wish I could do this so well.
  8. Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
    Good job, man. I liked it.
  9. rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    very nicely done very cool four fingered technique :bassist:
  10. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    I know this is an old topic, but wow, that's an amazing composition. Very melodic, and very nice display of great techniques. :) Bravo.
  11. I just downloaded this. Very nice, very musical! You definitely have some killer chops and, more importantly, the wisdom to use them.
  12. Steven Melensen

Steven Melensen

Aug 2, 2005
    Thanks for "bumping" this subject. If you want more informations about this song, I use altered tunings (E-G-D-A) and during the fast finger part, I use only 3 fingers on my right hand (I'm currently working on my 4 fingers technique).

By the way, here is some links (that have been post on other sections of the forum) of other stuff that I've done.

- Flamencore :

This is my composition, where I use flamenco guitar techniques on bass. All the funny faces and the flashy stuff are for humor purpose only.

- Sweep picking on bass :

4 exemples of sweep picking with a pick. This is a technical video, not a musical video.

- Be Minor :

An mp3 of my first multi tracks bass composition.

Hope you enjoy it!