Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Lecompte is done

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JJBACOOMBA, Nov 10, 2005.

1. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    LeCompte VB - 5, unlined fretless (left handed,strung righty), 35"scale

Standard features:
    Alder body w/ gloss catalyzed lacquer finish
    Dual action truss rod
    Bartolini 59J1 L/S pickups
    Gotoh tuners (chrome)
    Standard chrome bridge w/ 17.5mm string spacing
    Metal knobs (chrome)
    Strap buttons (chrome, large for VB only)
    DR Hi-Beam Strings

Thuya burl top,maple between the body and the top
    Maple burl inlayed faux pickguard
    Macassar ebony fingerboard
    Bartolini 3.3 a/p 2 band preamp (vol, blend, treb/bass stacked)
    Graphite nut
    Matching Thuya burl head stock
    3 piece maple neck (with satin poly finish)

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Holy crap! Man, Bud outdid himself on that one, huh?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    what's with the stringing?

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Definately a candidate for the "Who has a bass no one else has" thread.

6. JJBACOOMBA

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Trev, I play a lefthanded body, but the strings are strung for a right hander. Its a 5 string, so the B string is on the bottom,G string on top. If you play right handed,just take your bass and turn it around to your left hand. Thats how I learned and no one ever told me that the strings were upside down. LOL!! I've been playing like that for almost 21 years.It has its limits but I manage quite nicely.Never been out of work the whole time. Hope that answers it for you.

7. JJBACOOMBA

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Very true Bud! I will have to post there too. LOL! Bud you did a great job.Absolutely another one of your works of art.Looking forward to seeing you next week.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yeah I hear that Bud guy makes nice basses! :D ;)

9. Yeah Im gonna agree with that...someone told me that Bud's basses are pretty good (lol) But yeah Bud you've outdone yourself once again.

10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
  11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Nice bass! Talk about a way to stump a know-it-all guitarist - Five strings, lefty, upside down, and unlined! :D

Marshall

12. JJBACOOMBA

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    LOL sometimes on a jam night I would just tell a jammer/gtrist" just follow me on the changes" hee hee!!

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    :D

Agreed! Congrats on the new bass...looks great.

14. I noticed that a couple of your influences are Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Haslip, both lefties!

I too am a lefty but I play right handed, always seemed natural to do it that way. I consider myself fortunate in that regard.

15. JJBACOOMBA

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Im right handed! LOL! I forgot to list Wayman Tysdale former NBA star, monster bass player. Hes a upside down leftie too.

16. JJBACOOMBA

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
  17. JJBACOOMBA

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Picked up my bass from Bud. Bud and his wife are the coolest people you will ever meet. My first look at the bass left me speechless and it was more beautiful than the pics I got and more than I ever imagined. My first reaction when I picked it up was to the feel of the neck. It felt like it was made for me.( LOL! it was ),smooth and not bulky at all. In fact I liked this neck better than my Alembic. Right away I could see Buds attention to detail and flawless craftsmanship. NO NECKDIVE AT ALL!! Nice wieght, approximately 9 lbs. ( hey all I had was the scale in the bathroom). Brought it home plugged her in and WOW, great sound from those Barts. The B string is nice and tight. I quess the 35" scale helped alot there.This bass will get ALOT of playing time. I will post a "real" review later but I must say that after hearing Bud play mine and some of the other beautiful basses he had there,as well as his awesome, and helpful suggestions and ideas that Bud is true to his craft, in that hes a great player that builds great basses. He knows what we want/need. Thanks Bud! I'm already coming up with some ideas on my next Lecompte. More pics to come!!! :hyper:

Attached Files:

18. That body shapes definately pretty unique, at first glance I thought it looked a little strange but after looking at the rest of the pictures I've had a total change of heart and I'm now really liking it! Great bass mate, hope you enjoy playing it.

19. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Ditto here. Wonder if how rare this is. Are we freaks of nature or what (or just plain old freaks ;) )???