1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my luck

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TrevorNorton, Aug 30, 2008.

1. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass which has the worst electronics ever. The volume and tone pots are scrachty after a couple of month. the soldering comepletely sucks, i have already soldered the output jack 12 times. i swear to god sometimes im going to smash that bass. its such a piece of crap. what should i do about it?

2. Learn how to solder better. ;)

3. Get a good cleaner from your local store and try that. Could be the pot is just dirty or you can just completely replace the pots and/or the electronics which might have more of an effect that just cleaning it. Try prewired stuff like Audere. You just have to follow simple directions and you are ready to play.

4. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    There is your problem. For all the love these instruments get, they are designed as entry level pieces. As a professional designer, I know how corners are cut, and frankly, the people at Squire (fender?) will have gone for the cheapest pots they could!

Take my advice as a tech, take all the pots, wires and caps out, and put high quality pots (check fender for correct values rather than trusting squire to get it right) and Orange Drop caps. That will be a start.

I also STRONGLY recommend this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Make-Electric-Guitar-Great-Player/dp/0879306017/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220136150&sr=8-4

:bassist:

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    If you've re-soldered the input 12 times, then the score is like this:

Squier 1
    You 12

Time to learn how to solder more effectively. If its failed 12 times, then you're not doing it right.

6. Actually the score is

Squier 1
    You 0

7. I noticed the scratchy pots too, and was going to rewire the p'ups for straight-to-output (until I can afford some new pots), but I couldn't find my solder :mad:

I also opened it up and the wiring seems different than what I expected.

8. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    or...
    Squier 12
    You 1

9. Quick question: How would I wire the pickups through the tone control straight to the output?

10. I have an Affinity Series...

I removed EVERY SINGLE piece of everything.

New pots, new pickups, new bridge, new tuners, new strings, new wires, new output jack, new pickguard, new strap buttons, new knobs (not that those three really matter :smug: )

11. :confused: They're only like $10
    You must be on a REALLY low budget, aren't you?