Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new band's name is stuuupid

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by soundoholic, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Why didn't you call the band n'suck?

32 vote(s)
    97.0%
  2. It's original, keep it.

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. So I joined a band. They just picked a name and we are now called Judd Hoose. I think it is bad name for a band that is covering audioslave, coldplay, Jet, and other bands similar.

What do you think?

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I'm kind of curious about how those 3 bands are similar. :confused:

3. They are all on MTV :meh: ?

4. primesuspect

primesuspect

Feb 11, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    ouch...

Anyways, no it's not the greatest name, but at least it IS original sounding.

Band names are a dark art.. Just pick random words and throw them together, but not really. :meh:

5. I'm sorry....no, I don't really care for it. :confused:

6. I was meaning more modern. Like rock, not country/western like the name sounds.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I guess it could be worse...

Frozen 4/6 count Perch ...

but then again

can you trade off the cruddy name for musical input?

I always suggest the band name Ornery Peephole at this
    point ...

Keep 5 stinky and 3 good band names up your sleeve at
    all times ...

Kind of like having latex protction, you don't want to
    be afflicted with Bad Bandname Disease {BBD}, there may not
    be a Future Cure, (like 'Vanilla Fudge' ..., yes, they are still
    around, I've heard) for your bad band ever ... and you
    don't want it to stick to you.

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    My friend's in two bands...Stalin and the Rainbows, a classic rock cover band with their first original just performed tonight. Crazy space-acid rock thing I never expected. The other one is an 8 piece ska band named the Skatholics.

How're those for names? :p

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I don't think we're at the point where it's cool to "punnify" "Ska" in your ska band's name again. That really always irritated me, albeit there are some good bands out there that do that, but in a lot of cases just screams "We have no creativity, we are uber-lame, it is safe to ignore us." That and when ska bands give themselves REALLY stupid names (not like "Smokey and the Bandit" stupid, I mean like "'Dude, where's my Car?' is the best movie ever" stupid). Names like the "Ninja Hamsters" or "Eww, you're a girl, and girls are gross" (Actual band name) bring me to the verge of sickness. Granted, ska bands don't expect to be taken that seriously, so there some leniency...but you should at least try.

That's about all I have to say about that.

Will-taking ska to seriously.

P.S. Just curious, are the Skatholics a religious band?

P.P.S. Stalin and the Rainbows is a cool name.

10. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    hey wait a minute I played for

Frozen 4/6 Count Perch

no no...just kidding...

check out Tony Levin's homepage...he has a ton of unused bandnames he is offering free for the taking...some are very cool...

now.... if you don't mind...I have to go use the Judd Hoose

"soooorry...I had to do that"...."well someone had to right"?

Introvox

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, I agree. Regardless of the style of music, the name belongs on the "Lame List".

-Mike

12. I think I am going to bring it up that the band name is stupid.

The lead singer said there is a funny story behind it but will people care about a story they don't know? probably not!

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I suppose if you played country or southern rock that name would be ok.

I was in a band named "Whiskey Richard", and we played stuff like STP, Pearl Jam, Candlebox etc...... At the same time we were gigging around, there were two southern rock bands out gigging in our area, one was named "Poison Whiskey", and the other was "Whiskey Road". If I had a nickel for every time someone said to us "I thought with a name like Whiskey Richard you would have been a southern rock band, man......", I'd be able to afford a Sadowsky.

We changed our name to "Telepathy".

14. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    be sure to be tactfull in your approached to telling your band about the "name"...

don't say it's stupid, just suggest they come up with a better one...one that you ALL can be proud of, I had a band once with a dorky name, and I almost didn't want to tell anyone, and when I did...I had this whole shpiel (more like excuses) attempting to explain our bands' stupidity

....use the poll here to your advantage....that way WE are the badguys not you...

It's like never telling a dog owner his pet looks ugly.

ps...keep the inside jokes inside, don't make it you band name

Introvox

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Don't forget to ask them why they chose the current name. Then chip away at the logic for using it, and try to plant the idea of getting a better name.

It may take a while to get the change in place.

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

hehe, or telling your girl her behind is too ample ...

:bag:

17. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Judd Hoose? The name doesn't really mean much in the end though. For instance, Mike Portnoy was changing the name of his band back then... (I remember it was a lame name), and all he could come up with was DREAM THEATER. So he said, what the hell, and wrote it down. He claims that he really doesn't care for the name- but the thought was in his head, sounded decent, and he had a pen and paper.

EDIT- remember the name now... it was Majesty.

18. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Now that's a creative name. :rolleyes: :D

19. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I was in a band called "Aftermath"

20. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    EVERYONE GETS LAID!

Tonight at the Staircase Lounge... EVERYONE GETS LAID!

Saturday the 21st at Tink's Place... EVERYONE GETS LAID!

I think it has a nice ring to it... and it is less likely to start a riot than when I was in a band called the Scantily Clad Women and we double booked ourselves as the opening act called Free Beer.

Friday at the Woodlands Inn & Resort... Free Beer and Scantily Clad Women 11:00-2:00! Doors open at 10:00. Proper ID required. :help: :p :cool: