My New In Progress Fretless Pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    This is a bass I've been building for the last while. It features a set-neck, walnut body with purpleheart top and maple accent, maple neck with Diamondwood birdseye fingerboard, matching p/u cover of walnut/maple/purpleheart, and not pictured a purpleheart control cavity plate. This is the forth bass I've built and so far the best. With the very few tools I own I am very pleased with the outcome thus far. The pics are after the first coat of oil. I should have it finished in a couple of weeks.

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That is a very nice bass. Be sure to post pics when it is done.
  3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Looks great so far! Keep us posted.
  4. Looks stellar! Figured purpleheart is a great looking wood. Looks like very good craftsmanship.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks for the comments :) Before I put the finish on I did a dry run of the bass fully assembled and it sound really nice. The diamondwood board adds so much to a fretless.
  6. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Exellent Peter!! Please keep us informed and updated. Any possible sound clips down the road? Thanks,Luke
  7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Wow, Very nice Peter,

the neck joint looks looks like what is usd on fodera basses...

Any details or in progress pics of this joint?

8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    JP: you love pics of joints, eh?

9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

Yeah...sure. BTW, don't you owe me some pics bro'??

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    that is very impressive- the lines are very pleasing and the neck joint looks great- congrats!- A
  11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks everyone :smug:

JP, I believe the neck joint is exactly like Fodera's, at least as far as I can tell. I love their joint and from looking at it I believe mine is the same. I wish I would have thought to take pics as I went along. I would like to have seen them myself.

Adrian, thanks for your comments on the lines of the bass. I know it's not very original or unique but I guess I kind of like the more simple designs. I made an odd design last time and really liked it right after I built it. But a month later I couldn't stand to look at it. I just prefer a more traditional look.
  12. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That is absolutely gorgeous. Good work.
  13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Peter, that's a cool looking neck joint. Would you mind sharing a few details with us, on how you did that?
  14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Let's see if I can explain. I cut a tenon in the neck leaving about 5mm of the fingerboard hanging on each side of the tenon that follows the taper of the neck. To follow the walnut/maple veneer motif of the body I cut out pieces of walnut that fit snug to the tenon and then laminated the veneer. The 5mm of overhang is glued right to the face of the giving a very neat appearance. The tenon is inserted into a routed out slot in the face of the bass. That's the only way I know to explain it. It's also the only way I will do a neck again as I think it offers everything I would want in a bass: great bolt-on response with the neck-thru type of sustain allowing the body wood to have a bugger effect on the tone. So the next bass I build, I will be sure to take pics of the joint in progress.
  15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Thanks Peter. Very nice job. Looks great!
  16. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Wow! Nice piece of work there! Did you shape the body or is that a Warmoth (or some othe brand)? Either way, it looks very well done.

17. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the explaination. I've always wanted to see pictures of a dovetailed Fodera before they glue the neck on. I asked one famous maker about his dovetail joint at NAMM and he quit talking to me once he realized I was a builder... Too many questions I suppose.
  18. that board looks AWESOME!!

nice work man, cant wait to hear some clips! :D
  19. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Here's a few bad pics of the finished bass. I can't quite capture the figure in the top but you get the idea. The second pic is pretty dark but I thought it looked cool :) Also, it will have chrome knobs instead of the black. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow.

20. wow that's beautiful...I love Purple Heart Wood!!!

I want to build a bass so bad...but I don't have the tools to do it right now, so I guess that will come later