1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ulrichsd, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ulrichsd

ulrichsd

Mar 6, 2013
    Hi everyone, first time poster, thanks to everyone who posted all the great info on here that helped me pick my new bass.

I've been playing a MIM Fender 4 string J bass for last decade and decided to get a 5 string Lakland 55-02. Just got it today and loving it. Its lighter than I expected but I love the feel and string spacing. I think it looks hot too!

If anyone has any inside tips about this bass please let me know. The guy I bought it from said you can change some settings in the back by unscrewing the back panel. To be honest I've only played a passive bass so I don't know a lot about active pickup basses.

Thanks!
    Scott

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Congrats. There's a set of small DIP switches in the electronics cavity that control the frequency of the mid control on this bass. After experimenting, most 55-02 players I know, including myself, leave the settings at the factory (default) presets.

http://www.lakland.com/tech-docs/lh3-controls.pdf

3. bcgd

bcgd

May 27, 2008
    This is the internet. Without pictures your bass doesn't exist. (hint, hint) :D

4. ulrichsd

ulrichsd

Mar 6, 2013
  5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Congrats!

6. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    I agree with leaving the mids at 600hZ. If you take the back off and turn the preamp over (LH-3 only) there is a small potentiometer that can adjust the gain. I have found that turning this up about 3/4's of the way gets the best tone (most growl). You can toggle back between passive (volume pulled up) and active (volume down) and you will notice a big difference in volume. My favorite setting is to toggle the 60's coil (closer to the neck) and slightly favor the lower p/u. I leave the mids and treble centered and add some bass. The adjustments are very subtle and very sweet. I really like all of the tones this bass produces. Enjoy!

7. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Here are some video links for set up. Hope this helps.

8. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi ulrichsd,

Very nice looking 55-02. Enjoy it!

Also, Laklands have passive pickups, and an active preamp. ;-)

Enjoy!

9. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    congrats!

we DO need pics!

the links above (videos as well as pdf) will be a great help to you.

the 55-02 is a very versatile bass....you can spend hours trying out all of the different options and then hours more figuring out which is "your tone".... enjoy yhe experimentation and join us in the LOG (Lakalnd Owners Group) thread!!

10. ulrichsd

ulrichsd

Mar 6, 2013
    Finally, some pictures! Thanks for the links to the youtube setup video, very helpful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Enjoy!

12. levonrocks

levonrocks

Nov 21, 2012
    Easton, PA
    I love the finish on it. I was thinking about spending my tax return on a 5 or 6 string bass. I'll have to try the 55-02 out.

13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Very nice. Congrats.

14. ulrichsd

ulrichsd

Mar 6, 2013
    Thanks everyone! Levonrocks, tax return financed this bass as well!