Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Toy!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Jan 20, 2006.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Well, I finally put an extension on my bass. Today was the first time I have played the bass in almost two weeks and it sounds great! The whole bass seems better. However the A strings seems slightly less responsive...but that may be because I have not played it.
    I got the extension from John Michael Smith in St Paul. If any one in the area is considering one I definately would recommend him.
    I was somewhat anxious about how it was going to turn out because my bass is not one of those massive thundering instruments....but it is now. I was very impressed with the power and depth. It is currently set up with a helicore heavy string and it sounds fabulous. I might try a flexocor just for some more depth and darkness...but I am not sure I will have to.
    Anway perhaps I will post pics if enough are interested.
    :hyper:

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    How many is enough?

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    How many does a maker count as?

4. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i think me plus ray plus jeff B. is more than enough.....get to postin some pics.:smug:

5. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    OK I will soon

6. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    heres a couple.
    The flame is not quite as much as I have on my neck...that's the only downside to the extension.

7. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    one more

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Very cool. You're using Obligatos?

9. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    no, I currently have stark flexocors on the top two...an original flexocor A and a Helicore long E

10. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Looks classy. Two queries if you will, is the c tunable? and what wood is the body on that?
    thanks,
    jeff

11. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The pictures give every indication that the C string can be tuned. All four pegs have strings on them. Unless I misunderstood your question....

12. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    The wood is maple and ebony. The flipper is some sort of plastic because he said the ebony ones tended to change with the climate and become too tight or loose. The open C is tunable just by the regular gear. Does that answer your second question? I know the KC extension have a flipper on the C and/or B -- is that what you mean by tunable?

13. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Sometimes the screws in the latch wear out and the E will be out of tine when its closed. Older designs would have to be rebuilt if this happens. Newer designs have E's that can be tuned.

14. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Are you talking about the KC extensions? I don't see how my E could ever be out of tune because of the screw? I guess I don't know what you mean

15. Methinks what Jeff means is, if you closed the E latch and tuned the low string, is the open string in tune? Or, to put it another way, if you tune the open string, are the stop positions on the C string inline with the stop postions on the other strings?

All this because the strings don't all share a common nut.