1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Next/Second Bsss

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeffC, Jul 26, 2007.

1. JeffC

JeffC

Mar 8, 2007
    So recently I had my Ibanez GSR200 set-up by a luthier friend of mine. As he was fairly busy with things and would have my bass for a week or so, he gave me a loaner so I wouldn't be without.

The bass was a build of his, a reproduction of a '66 Fender Jazz Bass, with humbuckers, an ash body and the pickup guards that came on the '66 (Which I found were in the way, didn't really like them).

I got my bass back last night and it feels good to have it back...I am again in my comfort zone. I have been playing bass for roughly 5 months now and the Ibanez has been great to me but after using the reproduction Fender Jazz bass, I immediately notice that the Ibanez CANNOT produce the long lasting, warm tone that the Jazz can.

I am hesitant to run out and buy another bass as the whole thing is still fairly new to me but when the time comes....

What should I be looking at?

I play a little bit of everything, no specific genre and I won't have a fortune to spend on one most likely, no more then $1000.

How long till you TBers moved from your first bass?

Sorry for the novel
    Thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You should look for something that gets a nice solid tone, that will be versatile in many genres. Personally, I would go for a Lakland 44-01 or used 44-02 if you can swing it. I feel these are the best quality instruments in the sub $1000 range.