1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Old Yorkvlle subs have XLR inputs

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by troy mcclure, Dec 30, 2011.

1. in addition to 1/4 inch. Will any xlr cable or do they have to be a heavier type? I am not familiar with xlr speaker cable.

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    There was a time when some manufacturers used XLR connectors for speakers. However, it still requires speaker cable. Microphone cable is totally insufficient for the amount of power needed to drive a loudspeaker.

3. No any XLR cable will not do.
    Since no one I know makes these you will have to make it yourself or have it done by one of the boutique cable makers.
    Use appropriate speaker wire and verify which pins to connect to.

If you have basic wiring skills I recommend scrapping the old cabinet dish and converting to Speakon connectors as this is easy, much better quality (higher current capacity) and probably cheaper than having a custom cable made...

4. I remember some old SVT's had XLR connectors for the speaker outputs, I believe they were wired in such a way as to prevent the amp from running with no load connected.

Regardless of type of connector used speakers always use speaker wire (heavier gauge) not shielded cable.

5. Hi.

Unless considered to be a vintage piece with some value of it having the original connectors, I'd suggest switching to Speakon as well. Especially if it's the "regular" small square package that has the same exact cutout and hole pattern. That way it's easily reversible.

+1 for using speaker gauge cable as well.

Regards
    Sam

6. Thanks, I will take your advice and convert them