1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My practice amp stopped working. Is it repairable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mazer, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Mazer

Mazer

Apr 4, 2011
    Hey,
    I have this Kustom KBA16 16W Bass Combo bass amp, which I sometimes use for practice. It stayed at a friend's of mine, untouched for about 4-5 months. The last time I played it there, it worked just fine. The other day I took it home, it was drizzling a bit, but I had a plastic bag over it. And today, when trying out the amp, it first turned on for a brief moment and then shut off and the power button stopped working. I tried switching to different outlets, making sure the power cord is fixed tight, but nothing seemed to work. Can you guess what it could be, and more importantly, can I fix it?

2. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    try the fuse

3. A 16 watt practice amp, I'd be real surprised if there was a user-replaceable fuse. Probably fused inside the primary windings of the transformer, if that has gone there's no repair... the amp was made to be disposable.

However, it's also possible the power switch gave up the ghost, cheap power switches can do that. Also possible there's a broken connection somewhere internally, even a bad power cord (broken wire internally).

Unfortunately, that amp is inexpensive so it's not worth taking to a tech to pay for a diagnosis. If you're close to Nashville I could give it a quick look-over for free though and at least let you know what's bad. (Best case is a broken connection internally or a bad power switch, worst case is transformer primary has been opened)

4. My Peavy had an internal fuse. You had to completely remove the amp to service it.

5. Problem is that fuses do not blow just for fun. They blow to prevent a fault from causing a fire. Replacing a blown fuse could well make whatever is wrong with the amp worse.

nashvillebill likes this.