Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Read Custom Progress Thread (lotsa pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Oct 7, 2003.

1. It is nearing completion, and I thought I'd share it with Talkbass. :)

Choice of top wood:
    [​IMG]
    Crotch Maple, gorgeous piece of wood!

Several progress pics in chronological order:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last coat of finish has been applied, Jack will start with assembly tomorrow. Pickups will be Bartolini CB series with ebony covers. All hardware will be gold.

More pictures as I get them. :)

3. Thats a fine (b)ass you got goin there buddy! Who is making it?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Jack Read... it's a Read Custom

Taustin: it looks killer! I'll be watching for reviews and sound clips!

5. Jack Read. Fabulous guy, has been an absolute pleasure to work with so far. Excellent customer service!

www.readcustom.com

6. Wow, those are some fantastic looking basses! Be sure to give sound clips when your's is done bro! ~ Ty

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Ooh, nice! I really like the look of that top. :)

8. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Very nice!
    I love the headstock shaped clamping caul.;)

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    whoa... thats one of the sweetest looking basses i've ever seen!

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    What happened to that guitar?
    did they beat it up? or is does it know its place? :D

steve

11. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    hey taustin, I just got back from Jack's place a little while ago- I got to ogle your bass while Jack was making a ramp for me out of a piece of cocobolo. I don't think I've ever seen so many basses in various stages of assembly or disassembly in one place in my life. Yours is looking mighty nice!

What a super guy, by the way. It was the first time I've met him, and I had 10 million questions about everything. I also ogled emjazz's new Read preamp, which is almost done. They're a totally no-bs piece of equipment. He's building all kinds of stuff out there! And what stacks of wood!

12. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    hey taustin, I just got back from Jack's place a little while ago- I got to ogle your bass while Jack was making a ramp for me out of a piece of cocobolo. I don't think I've ever seen so many basses in various stages of assembly or disassembly in one place in my life. Yours is looking mighty nice!

What a super guy, by the way. It was the first time I've met him, and I had 10 million questions about everything. I also ogled emjazz's new Read preamp, which is almost done. They're a totally no-bs piece of equipment. He's building all kinds of stuff out there! And what stacks of wood!

13. Awesome! I wish I could go by there and pick it up on person, but alas, I live in TX. How's my bass looking today? Any hardware installed yet?

That preamp he's building sounds really nice, I hope I can check it out sometime....

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hearing that my preamp is almost done makes me very, very happy.:D I can't wait to get my hands on that thing. Best preamp anywhere, hands down. That baby will complete the greatest rig ever; Nordstrand, Bergantino, Read and Crest. It just doesn't get any better! Congrats on your soon to be Read bass. I know that you'll be extremely happy with it.

Gooseyard, It's good to see that you've fallen for the ways of the ramp. I'll never play without one.

15. Hey emjazz,

Could you give us some details on the new preamp?

Thanks

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bernie, I'll post the full rundown about the preamp when I get it. I tried the prototype and it was far and above anything that has ever been produced as a preamp. That pre is just so beautiful. You should email Jack for the details but I'll give you a first hand writeup when I get the production model.

17. Nice body shape...have fun!:bassist:

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Lucky sonofa..I've always wanted a Jack Read. I live about 40 minutes from him and he did some upgrade/electronics work for me. He's a great guy to deal with and his basses/necks are top notch.

19. Sounds great man. I'll be waiting for your review.