Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My recording dilemma. problems mic'ing

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Jonas., Aug 3, 2005.

1. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    well i've got a mixer and a mic (shure sm57) and i'm just fed up with the hassle involved, it takes me ages to get ready and i can never get a sound i'm pleased with. i've decided i want to go direct.

i would have said i've got about about $300 to spend on a direct solution, but i don't know where to start at all, any resourses regarding direct recording of bass guitars would be greatly received. are there any highly recommended DI boxes or anything?

2. Does your amp have a line out? Have you tried that instead of mic'ing the cab?

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Countryman Type 85

4. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    theres no line out on the amp i was wondering if there was a way to avoid the amp entirely

5. I've had great results with either the Sans Amp bass driver, OR the Bass Pod they go to "tape" excellent.

6. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005

yes, i've been at the line 6 bass pod series, but do they sound good and would it replace a DI box completely? :hyper:

7. What are you recording into? What's your full set up?

For the past 1-2 years I've been taking the line out on my amp (SWR SM900) with great success, but lately I've used the "BASS DRIVER" setting on my BOSS ME-50B with very little gain and have been getting great tone. Both directly into the 1/4 inch input on my ST 24/96 sound card. I've also plugged my active bass (with full Trebel & Bass boost) dirctly in and have made it work with some finer EQ'ing in the mix down stage.

Can you try what you have before you go out and buy,...... at the very least you'll know where to go from there.

8. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    i've tried everything already, i just wanna go direct now :(

9. Avalon U5!!!! I love mine in my live rig and in my studio.

10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Agreed. $150 and your set. What is your bass situation? You know what they say; trash in trash out.

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    He said he had $300 to spend. I would love a U5 if I had $500.

12. I've seen them for $400.00, in fact I bought mine for $400.00.