1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My rig plus PA

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    I love my tone and absolutely love my rig, but whenever I play at a gig with a PA support I feel like my sound is better.

I'm not familiar with those systems and how they work, but the times I've played with them, sometimes my cab was mic'd and other times they used the direct out of my amp, and as a result the sound is like more "alive" and with a little more "balls".

I think my tone goes from excellent to awesome with the PA but when I rehearse with the band or practice in my room I can't reach that level of complexity my sound.

I feel like t's a new world I just discovered

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Excellent! A lot of guys complain the PA support does just the opposite: makes it sound muddy and/or undefined.

Riis

3. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    The reason it's more complex is that your bass cab may not be reproducing the entirety of the frequency spectrum that your bass is capable of creating, nor to the level of detail that the PA, with all it's compression, EQ, time alignment, etc., is capable of creating.

4. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    The new found excitement makes you want to play better, at least it does me. For me, when I hear the subs kick in during a gig, the creativity starts to flow because now I know where I can go and not go. Just thumping strings during a gig gets old, but when all the sounds are blending just right, playing off each other, makes the gig a pleasure to participate in. JMHE

5. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    Most guys don't like going into a PA because most PAs that most bands use or run into are on the cheap. Every big bang is playing in a pa. There is no bass rig that can play glasstonburg (spelling) by itself. At some point everyone has to go into a pa. They are absolute engineering marvels that will put any bass rig to shame. Now on the other end, your local county bar's 20 year old crate PA not so much, and there is everything in between. Lol. My band has a decent PA (we are upgrading our mains soon, then I will say it is nice). Our gear is nicer then a lot of other bands around here, I always go into the PA. We have mackie 18 inch subs that really give the growl. Plus we can keep stage volume low limiting feedback and keeping things clear.

6. Erm, if your subs are growling you're pushing them way too hard into distortion or crossing them over far too high. Growl is in the midrange.

Muddy bass isn't just a cheap PA problem. Bass rig plus PA in small/medium venues gets to be like listening to a dozen women holding three conversations at once. Most big bass rigs have poor dispersion so even if they turn you off out front, much of the venue only properly gets your low end.

OP has it sorted!

7. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    Wow, really? That was kinda condesending. I think most knew what I meant. Our subs run barely on at most places.

8. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    When on earth did you get lucky enough to have a dozen women together and only have 3 conversations going?

9. You must have meant something other than what you said. You get a clear growly bass tone from your PA, nice, loves me some clear bass growl!

10. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I agree-running thru a nice PA is superior to a mere bass rig.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Providing the guy running it isn't a schlub.

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey...leave me out of this!

Riis

13. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    i have never felt an 18 inch growl before ! i hear my growl from the tops...

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

You my friend are no schlub. I have taken things you have said and applied them to my rig and it has made me better. Believe that.;)