Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Roth has skin cancer.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by sylund, Aug 25, 2005.

1. sylund

sylund

Aug 25, 2005
    Hillsboro, OR
    I own a 1975 Roth 3/4 that belonged to a high school band. It was severly mistreated. About 10-15% of the varnish has flaked off exposing the yellow/orange wood beneath (see attached photos). I've yet to see an uglier bass it the 15 years I've been playing. The lower side panels, fingerboard, and tail piece were replaced about 5 years ago, but this is still a great sounding instrument. I paid about $900 for it, so I'm not too concerned about killing the value due to loss of original finish. How would I go about refinishing this beast without breaking the bank? I'm pretty handy with tools, so I'm not afraid to tackle this daunting project. :help:

Attached Files:

2. sylund

sylund

Aug 25, 2005
    Hillsboro, OR
    Hey Eric, when I went to that thread, there were no pictures in it. It appears the admin/moderator may have removed them. Could you repost them on this thread? The comments in that thread make your Kay sound like a real work of art! I also found a few good stripping tips in that thread. I'll have to research this "scraping" technique.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That thread has pics when I look at it. And darn good ones they are, too.

4. sylund

sylund

Aug 25, 2005
    Hillsboro, OR
    Stupid Firefox browser! Evidently I can't see forum pics when using Firefox. Using Internet Explorer, I can see that Kay bass turned out mighty fine. What did you use to strip it with?

5. Funny, I'm using Firefox and can see the pictures just fine :meh:

Nice job on the re-finish :D

6. Sylund, ya might wanna send Tom Hutton a pm. I'll bet he'd be glad to answer any questions you might have about his bass and his refinishing process.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Tools/Options/Web Features/Load Images/From Originating Site Only

Turn that off and you should be good.

8. sylund

sylund

Aug 25, 2005
    Hillsboro, OR
    Mr. Parker, you're a genius - it worked! I wiped my harddrive and reinstalled the OS last month, so default settings are abundant still. My apologies to everyone for being off-topic.

Eric - I'll drop Mr. Hutton a pm as you suggest. As a nebie to TalkBass, I'm still learning the in's & out's here, so thanks to all for help/suggestions!