My SX... finally done! sound clips soon!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GearHeadBassMan, Aug 4, 2009.

1. so it started off like this:

IMG_4837.jpg

here's the laundry list:
    Hipshot HB-1 Tuners (black)
    Leo Quan Badass II bridge (black)
    Dimarzio Model J 123s
    All new Dimarzio 500K pots
    Dimarzio control knobs
    Fender Custom shop capacitor
    Fender Output jack
    DR Black Beauties
    A whole lotta shielding
    here she is!

0804091717.jpg

0804091719.jpg

Yes, the knobs go to 11 :bassist:

I don't have a working cable to record a sound clip, but I have a stock soundclip so later tonight I'll record a new one to compare!

Should I keep the ashtray? I think it complements the silver string holder down thingy on the headstock. The badass is too big for the bridge ashtray :(

heading to practice now to see how it sounds. super pumped. Finally, a bass that I really feel like I created!

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Those are some Taaaaaalllll knobs you got there.

3. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    I'd personally get rid of all the silver. I just don't like it. I'd change at least the string tree to black. I'd also change all the chrome screws to black, it will make it look much cleaner IMO.

4. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I'd rock it. Love that tugbar

5. btw special thanks to all you tb members who helped me find all the hardware!

I was sort of weirded out by how short the new tuners are compared to the stockers, but I like them much better that way, makes the whole bass feel a little bit smaller.

and i considered an all black and natural look, but I thought I'd use the chrome to break it up a bit, plus, to excite lights on stage. maybe black pickguard screws though.

6. oooh, you mean the control knobs.

well, the pots are HUGE! I had to wire them and then turn them sideways to fit them in the control cavity. From a playing position they are actually very very accessible, I was nervous!

7. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Looks nice!

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

There should be two nuts on the shaft of each pot. take the top one off temporarily and screw the bottom one upwards until its the right height, then screw the top one back one. Adjustable height. Should be enough depth in the route... usually the width is the potential problem.

9. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I'm diggin' the retro wallpaper...

10. Ruckus13

Ruckus13

May 19, 2009
    I'd get rid of the ashtray, and neck PUP cover. I'd also get different knobs, those just don't fit the bass in my opinion. Other than that looking good.

11. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I, for some reason, hate black bridges.

12. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Nice job!

13. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I'm glad you have the bass looking the way you like it. I think the knobs that go to eleven are great. Where can you get those?

I'm betting you will really like the DiMarzios. Have a blast playing your personalized beauty!

14. actually, I found the knobs just by browsing MF... look through Dimarzio parts. I was looking for black or chrome knobs, but, when I saw these, I just couldn't NOT buy them! If you can't tell from the picture, it's pretty much identical color to the neck so it actually works pretty well, I'm satisfied!

as for the pot height... They are adjustable, but i can't really bring them any lower, they are about 3x the size of the stock pots and barely fit as they are unfortunetly :( however, they are at the perfect height for my hand position when I'm picking, so it works out great.

so, the main issue is I made a mistake wiring them the other day, so I'm getting no sound. thats what I'm working on now. I've heard a MIA fender with these pups and thats why I bought them. I reeallllllyyyy want to hear them!

15. The funny thing is, it's brand new, as in, 2 months old. My Dad specified what colors he was looking for... suffice to say, it has the best light and I think the bass matches the room pretty well!

I definitely got the 80s taste from him!

16. Paul4703

Paul4703

Mar 19, 2007
    AAwww man!!!

You've ruined a great bass!

17. ALL black hardware!!!

18. how so, I wonder? I feel like custom specs are what really make a bass yours, as is with cars

19. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    It’s cool that you made it to your taste, but since we’re giving opinions, my least favorite thing is the knob color.

I do love the natural finish, though.

20. wanna send me the Jazz knobs you took off? I need a set

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021