My tailpiece let loose lastnight!!!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by GrooveMonkey, Oct 5, 2005.

1. On my cheap beater Cremona SB2

I had just put on a set of Spirocores, tuned up (with a tuner), and started jamming with my guitarist. Then...*BLAM*!!!

The bridge almost hit my guitarist in the leg. The crimp let go on the tailpiece wire which is braided steel wrapped in plastic tubing.

The sound post is still in place. Should I go to the hardware store for new cable and better crimpers?
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That's terrible that it missed the guitar player!
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

It takes experience to have good

Take the Bass to the Best Bass Luthier you can find and get it done right. Next time, the bridge or Tailpiece may crack the top or even your head!
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My tailpiece let loose Eat more fiber and your Cremona won't be so likely to errupt so.
  5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Someone in another thread mentioned that someone did get killed once by a flying tailpiece.....I seem to remember it not being a joke comment!
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Wakes ya right up, don't it? Welcome to the Flying Piece O' Tail Club. You've been initiated.
  7. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Go to the hardware store, but don't use a cable crimp, get one of these:

You don't have to get them at Lemur, I've seen them in hardware stores here and there. Anyway, I used them for years before I started using that funny rope stuff a lot of guys are using now. I don't think it'll let go.

8. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    The rope, like the one from Mike Pecanic is very solid too, as long as you tie it properly. I figured - the less screws etc that I have to deal with, the better
  9. I found somthing similar at a local hardware store and managed to put it back together. She creaked and groaned while I was bringing the strings up to tension. I tuned it, went to dinner, and came back to an in-tune bass! My Wife and I were joking that we'd come home to find the dog knocked out cold from my Bass exploding in the den... :D

Aug 26, 2005

You've received good advice and I would only add that Bob Golihur on his Bass website has a little article on how to make up your own little field-expedient tailpiece cable by using a simple cable clamp found in any hardware store-- nothing special but it works and he provides photos to boot.
  11. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Just be careful with clamps designed for metal cable. Whether they are crimped or whether they use a bolt, be aware that the clamp must clamp. It doesn't take much looseness at all in the clamp for the cable to work its way loose. Be sure that what you think is tight is really tight.

A properly tied knot has got a lot going for it.
  12. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Tis the season.. I just came home from Orchestra Rehearsal. I wheeled my Bass inside, layed it on its side in the livingroom and POP :eek: .. The thick strand Cable (welded I think) popped and everything was caught inside the cover.. I was lucky I wasn't playing as I just finished 1/2 hr eariler. I was maybe gonna practice a little after a late shack and was saved on all accounts.. Whew.. Just needs a new cable/clamp and a quick re-stringing and stuff from what I can see.
  13. Thanks Ken, I feel better now :) Nice to know it's not just me!

I re-strung with a new cable and I swear my bass sounds better now! :meh:
  14. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

Well, I'll tell you when I feel better. When I got the Bass from London, I showed it to Arnold. He mentioned the Cable was too thick. I said I like how the Bass sounds and will leave it for now. You know the old saying, "if it aint broke, dont fix it".. Well, it's broke now so time to fix it.
  15. Yeah, maybe that story is beginning to sink in. It was me that reported the incident which I have never been able to confirm except to note that you find a few overkill cables (possibly borrowed from a suspension bridge) here in Atlanta and almost no-one uses the coat hanger ones (that was the culprit in the story). The story was first told to me back in the mid 1980's and when I first took my cheapo bass in for strings the guy (a very good friend) at the shop wouldn't let me leave until he had changed out the cable and he had heard the story also. I guess if the thing hit you in just the right spot in the head you could be killed, but even if it was just giving you a shiner that would still be a bummer. Very glad no one was injured in either recent incident. Whatever you do to secure the tailpiece cable or rope, make sure that it is really secure.
  16. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Got it.. Thanks Cousin Arnold.. I got your custom Cable clamp today in the mail buddy..

I was also able to let it up a bit as the Tailpiece is only 13" and should be about 14.5" for a 7/8. The sound is a tad looser than before and still has it's 'Cannon' sound..