1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My thoughts on the sets of strings I've tried so far

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by InstantEctobass, May 12, 2019.

1. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    I'll try to make it short and clear, feel free to ask question, comment, like or hate! :)

Ernie Ball Extra Slinky 40-60-70-95: weirdly enough, the E string is still bright, the other ones sound aged/dead/dull (as you prefer), and I can't explain why. Because usually, the E string gets dull first... maybe the gauge? These strings are confortable on the fingers, their brightness goes away very quick after a few weeks, and they are nice for some vintage tone

D'addario EXL 45-65-85-105: yeah, very common, okay on the fingers, good tone when brand new, but E string gets dull and then I found them boring... They're cheap, and they have nothing special, a lot of bad sets too!

D'addario ProSteels 45-105: worst strings I've tested: very rough on the fingers, can't slap without burning your fingers, high tension bends your necks, not much more brightness than other sets: avoid them

Elixir Stainless Steel 45-65-85-105: tension is a little high for my taste, but on the fingers they are... awesome, Elixir coating is the best if you have a thin layer of skin on your fingers, very good for playing with a pick though

Elixir Nickel 40-60-75-95: my favourite roundwounds ever, awesome tone, low tension and high playability, bright, last forever, the best on the fingers for both of your hands, golden end-balls, no silk, what else?

Fender Stainless Steel Flatwounds 55-105: I was cheap and hoped they'll give me the Steve Harris tone on a P: very wrong, these require a U shaped neck or you'll bend it, unless you wanna max out your trussrod, tonewise they're okay, but at least they're very soft to the fingertips

LaBella Black Nylon 750N 50-105: the lighter gauge of the two offered by LaBella for black tapewounds strings... to me the best flatwounds I had in hands! classic funk / jazzy tone, with lots of thumping if your action is set as it should; in the middle for me... they are letting a lot of expression from the wood, mostly your fingerboard, these don't require a new nut, on the contrary to the 760N (60-110), the tension is super low but once you get used to it, they're perfect, just a bit slippery, but perfect! very underrated, unknown flatwounds/tapewounds in my entourage

GHS Precision Flats 45-95: they're okay, not awesome but at least they are fast to "break in", tension is a bit high, but playable, their purple silk is pretty but loosy, if you want Flea's tone from Stadium Arcadium, you're gonna have to use them a lot before they'll reach the wanted tone!

Thomastik Jazz Flats 43-56-70-100: overrated strings IMHO, and I know a lot of people are gonna want to sue me for that: they require months to break in, and then, even after that, the A string is not balanced with the rest of the strings, it just jumps too much and you have to play it calmly, you can't attack it, I tried to like them, but to me the price was not justified... maybe the ones who like are lucky enough to be older which could be made differently? I was excited every time I was watching a video of someone playing the bass with these strings... I could recognize them without seeing the silk or anything! And I got them, and I was disappointed.

My 46 cents!

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Re: TIs being a disappointment. Not all strings work with every bass, some seem to "take" one make better than others. To me that would explain why you like the sound of other people playing them. I've never noticed the A string being unbalanced either. Your pickups do make a difference. What bass did you test your strings on?

Full disclosure: I'm an unapologetic TI fanboy.

dagrev, Eikari, redwingxix and 6 others like this.
  3. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    I've put 2 differents sets (cause I thought the first one was defective) on 4 different basses; same unbalanced behaviour on every of my basses. People accused my nut pieces and setup. I didn't accept that because I know how to setup a bass. Tested them on a P with a maple neck, P with a rosewood neck, a Cort GB34A with a rosewood neck (22 fret and MM-J config) and lastly a J (can't remember which type though)

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i applaud your willingness to offer a perspective based on your experiences. :thumbsup:

i will check back to see/read your comments on these two:
    - rotosound 66 medium-light, 35-55-70-90
    - TI jazz rounds, 43-51-68-89

good luck with your string experiences! :thumbsup:

5. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Thank you very much! I wanted to try the Rotosound to be honest! These or the even lighter 30-90 ones. TI Jazz Rounds, not so sure. But on the same type as the Jazz Flats from TI, I'd give a try to D'addario Chromes. I'm curious

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i honestly think you might find something good about lighter gauge roto 66's. the whole steel 66 collection (stainless steel roundwound) is a 'thing' for a reason...worth trying, maybe.
    from other's reports: the TI jazz rounds are different than jazz flats (i've never tried the flats), but both are pricey enough to intimidate.

i like the flexibility of the tones i can get with both of those as well as the literal flexibility of those two choices. but some have tried them and don't care for them at all --- we all have preferences!

if you're in search of your own most preferred string: i wish you enormous good luck! :thumbsup:

7. You mean Fender 9050M, 55-70-90-105?

You mean the 3025 set, 45-60-75-95?

8. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France

Man you are 100% right, I'll edit my original posting!!

9. I would also suggest, if I may, to include ALL the gauges in the set.

10. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    I think I already found my fave rounds and fave flats but I'm always curious to try what we are offered :)

lowplaces and JRA like this.
  11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Different strokes for different folks. I’ve had nearly the exact opposite experiences from you. To each his own.

The Rage and Burwabit like this.
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Troy, MO
    I appreciate your perspective and reading your comments makes me want to try some tapewounds. I’ve only been playing long enough to try two different sets on one bass (Dunlop nickel-plated rounds, 45-105; D’Addario chrome flats, 40-100...on a Squier P-bass). I liked the Dunlop’s pretty well after they got dead and I like the Chromes because they are in the same sonic ballpark but feel smoother.

If I may ask, why the jumping around in terms of string gauge? Seems like you’d have less variables if you stayed more constant on the gauge because then you could more directly compare material and wind type.

Bikingbasser likes this.
  13. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Try Rotosound 77s before you end the hunt.
    JAZZ BASS 77 | ROTOSOUND

On the A string issue...,I have TI Flats on my the Fender Mustang PJ right now and the A string jumps out on it as well. My Broughton High Pass Filter helps tame it though.

Anyhow, those Rotosound 77s really sound nice. Check them out.

EatS1stBassist and mikewalker like this.
  14. I'm in the midst of my first experience with TI flats. They definitely continue to Change in tone the longer i play them. To my ears they sound bad when soloed but continue to improve in a mix, but I like mids and I know that's not everyone's cup of tone.

I'll give them a few more months of playing before I make a decision.

I'm always interested in reading about people's impressions of different strings. I've learned so much from TB that I never could discover on my own. I guess that's why we keep sharing.

15. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Could you please care to elaborate? It feels like you just want to disagree with me. I know that experiences are personal, but I also think that some of the things I stated are also very objective. Feel free to share your words, buddy! I don't bite

I'll definitively will! Thanks!! :)

Yeah their tone evolves the more you use them, that's not deniable. They are slow to change. To me the tone wasn't the issue but rather the feel under my fingers and their behaviour on the fretboard. Too sad after the cost of them :( I didn't waste them though, they're still in the corner.

Sharing is caring! Feel free to share on your turn about TI's Jazz Flats, man

EatS1stBassist and lowplaces like this.
  16. Father Gino

Father Gino Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Farthard, Connecticut
    Strings are a pretty personal thing. They sound different with different basses, amps and probably most importantly, players. If the A string violently jumped out at everybody, do you really think anyone would continue buying them?

I like TI flats myself. I played them for years on fretless basses where their heavy mid presence was greatly appreciated. I used them for a bit on a fretted 4003 and liked them there also. On a fretted Lakland 4402, not so much. They are kind of floppy low tension strings and take some getting used to. You can’t really dig into them too hard except really close to the bridge. They sound wonky to me if you pluck too hard. That being said, I find them very expressive, capable of anything from great smoothness to a snarly growl .

17. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Same here

Element Zero likes this.
  18. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    You spent all of that time and money and all you ever needed were Rotosound RS66LD's..:thumbsup: Case closed.

GTHintz, IamBuzzy and Harry160 like this.
  19. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    77s !
    :laugh:

Okay, 66s for the rounds and 77s for the flat side..

4001 likes this.
  20. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I don’t like TI flats.

EB Cobalts 40-95 are my favorite flats. Dunlop Nickel Super Brights 40-100 and SS Hi-Beams 40-100 are my favorite rounds.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021