1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My trio of Foderas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by climb, Mar 23, 2009.

1. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    From left to right, my trio of butterflies:

1. Fodera Emperor Deluxe, buckeye crown top, 34" scale, 5 string, mahogany/kingwood, abalone dot inlays, macc ebony pickup covers, new Pope preamp

2. Fodera Imperial Elite fretless 5, moabi top, 34" scale, 5 string, alder/kingwood, fretlines, rosewood pickup covers (I think), Pope preamp

3. Fodera Emperor Deluxe, chestnut top, 34" scale, 5 string, alder/macc ebony, abalone block inlays, Lane Poor single coils, Haz preamp

All are tuned EADGC, and all sound very distinct from one another. What do you think?

(btw, if you're interested, here's a link to my trio of Sukops... http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527184&highlight=sukop)

Attached Files:

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Nice trio...... enjoy them.

3. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    dude, I've never been to Baltimore but now there's even more reason to go than Charm City Cakes and John Waters combined!! :D

gorgeous basses!!

4. Do you like combinations of 3? :p

5. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    which one's your favorite? Or should I ask which one do you find yourself playing most often?

6. I was just going to ask which of those basses is your favorite. Could you describe the differences among those gorgeous Foderas?

7. minuseri

minuseri Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Real Nice....

8. Holy crap! :eek: I've never even seen a Fodera and you have 3. Congrats!

9. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    They really are different. I'll start off by saying that the fretless imperial just sings, and is really versatile. A fantastic fretless bass that made me recently sell my Ritter, which was to be a keeper. I'm not sure why Fodera fretlesses aren't more common, since this one kicks serious butt.

The Emperors--the buckeye crown top one is the one I've had longer, and I've been fortunate to have Mike Pope work on the instrument to make the pickup/preamp combo match the bass. Because I've played it the most, I like how this bass feels the best (but it doesn't actually feel better, just a little more worn in to me), and it has a woody, dark tone that is sort of understated. Very different than a jazz bass in tone. Right now, the preamp has a mid frequency selector set between a low- and mid- center band for the mids, and I usually use the lower setting. It has Duncan pickups, which I recently had swapped in for the Aeros (which are for sale if anybody's interested). The neck is fantastic, and I think the instrument is aesthetically beautiful. Almost plays more like a classical instrument than a funk machine; in fact, I rarely slap on it.

The chestnut top Emperor is the rarer of the two, with the extinct chestnut top and the lane poor single coils, and has a really stunning macc ebony fingerboard with abalone blocks. It's a beautiful, beautiful instrument. The tone is very much jazz-bass like in character, with a Fodera vibe injected in it. This bass is older than the other Emperor, and has a glossier neck finish than the buckeye crown. This bass is extremely good for slapping, for some reason (ebony? Lane Poors?) but also plays pretty sweet for fingerstyle.

10. Thank you for the descriptions. They increased my lust for a Fodera significantly! :)

11. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    cool dude!!!!!!
    one fodera is great to have, and you have three!!!!
    Man for now I have one my second is on order, so I will have two!!
    but really cool , thanks to share!!

12. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    My god........

I hate you!

Unless..........

By chance, do you have any extras laying around that you don't want? I would begrudgingly take them from you......for a nominal fee, of course! :D

13. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    3 is a good number, nice basses!

14. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    the amount of hatred that I have for you is unmeasurable! ;):D

actually I apologize for that comment, where do you live and what time do you go to work? I will come to your house and babysit them so they don't get lonely!!:ninja:

15. Can you explain the control layout of that preamp? The three look pretty similar.

16. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    So, is that Foderii?

In any case - NICE basses!

Dan K.

17. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, they all look pretty similar. The Imperial and Emperor with dual coils have exactly the same appearance on the outside, but the function is a little different. For the Imperial, the big knobs are dual stack volume/passive tone, pickup blend; the smaller knobs are high/mid/low cut and boost. The flip switches are kill/on, active/passive, and single coil/dual coil. The Emperor with Lane Poors has exactly the same config except no passive tone (Haz pre) and no dual coil/single coil mode.

The Emperor with dual coils has the upgraded pre--which looks the same on the outside, but the kill/on switch is now a mid freq selector switch (mid/low-mid freq emphasis).

Hope this helps.

18. Imagine that, another Balitimorian!
    I like the woods used on these, and overall the styling is nice, but the extended "lobe" shape (Imperial?) always looks a bit weird to me.
    I never have tried a Fodera though.

19. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

so why no matching willis ramps for atleast one of those sweethearts. your girlfriend/ or wife must be jealous=)

20. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    Nice, you must be quite the accomplished player with that collection :) Any video linksof those basses?