1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mystery Fender Vintage Case.

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by Philbass64, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Philbass64

Philbass64

Feb 8, 2018
    London
    Hi All,
    About 10 years ago I bought an early JV Fender Squier P-Bass in a case. The case is obviously of the Fender type but is strangely unique from all the cases I have seen, which is very many over the years.
    If you have look below you can see it is the usual black case with no logo so possibly 1964, however a friend of mine has just bought a 1964 P-Bass and original case, so I could compare them. Mine has, as you can see an accurately cut form of a P-Bass around the bottom of the bottom, his has none, Jazz Bass will not fit in my case. Also it has a block under the neck joint and a straight sided accessory pocket. All other ones of these I have seen have a triangulated pocket.
    Has anyone seen a Fender case like this before? I have seen them with one piece of foam but not shaped like this. It could possibly be non-fender as G&G who made these in the 60s did make cases for other manufacturers.
    Any help is most appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Phil.

Attached Files:

2. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You'll probably have better luck posting this in the Electric Bass forums

3. Philbass64

Philbass64

Feb 8, 2018
    London
    Thanks Jim! I'm new here and learning the ropes!

4. Philbass64

Philbass64

Feb 8, 2018
    London
    Thank you Francois! Does that mean the post has been moved?

5. Philbass64

Philbass64

Feb 8, 2018
    London
    I meant to put it in the accessories (EB) thread. My Bad...

6. Moved now!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  7. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Oct 12, 2006
    Metro Motown
    The Truth Is Out There
    That is a circa 1980's G&L case. I have the same exact original issue case that can be viewed here: SOLD - G&L L1000 1981 Closet Queen $1000

8. Philbass64

Philbass64

Feb 8, 2018
    London
    Ahh, yes very similar, although there is no heel block. That makes it roughly the right age for the 1982 Squier Bass it came with. It’s actually a much nicer case than the Fender ones and the bass doesn’t move around.
    Thank you Fab for the info!

Fab Superlative likes this.
  9. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Oct 12, 2006
    Metro Motown
    The Truth Is Out There
    Actually my case does indeed have the heel block, granted it's a bit hard to distinguish in the ad pics that I referenced- but it's there. :)
    IIRC these cases were in fact made by G&G specifically for G&L
    I agree, they were nicer than the Fender cases from the same time period. Also fwiw, the G&L cases themselves in nice condition are desirable and rare.
    And before I remiss again, Welcome to Talkbass! :thumbsup:

10. Philbass64

Philbass64

Feb 8, 2018
    London
    Thanks for your welcome Fab. The case handle did look too new to be a 60s one, thanks for putting the story straight. I like the fitted end for the bass and the bass is more secure than a Fender vintage type. I do have a '57 re-issue P-Bass which has a tweed case but it is the wrong one as I have all the case candy and pickup and bridge covers from a Jazz Bass! I will take a few more pictures of the case and put them up here shortly.