1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

N(U)BD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tmw2011, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    Today, I picked up the used Fender Road Worn Bass I ordered from Guitar Center. I came across the used listing a few nights ago while surfing (specifically for a used Road Worn). Unfortunately, the listing was so new, they hadn't put a pic of it up yet. But the price was right in the range I wanted to spend and with GC's 30 day return policy, I decided to roll the dice.

I had it shipped to my local GC because I didn't feel like playing tag with the UPS guy, or having it sit at my front door for however many hours (and I had a theory it would get to them sooner than if I had it shipped to me because of the way this area works.)

I've been playing it for the last 4 hours, and haven't been able to put it down. But there were some minor negatives about - an after market pickguard and knobs. The bass arrived with a brown tort pg on it (which is fine and classic in its own right) but the allparts pg the former owner put on it didn't fit it correctly... It buckled at the control cavity (and in many other places around the bass) and the bottom tip was broken off of the guard because the cavity was too short for way it was spaced with the jack, which left the input jack flapping around rather precariously.
    Fender%2520RW%2520PG.

I pulled out my spare pickguards when I got home, and only one actually matched up well with the controls, and that was an ugly red one that came on another used MIM Fender that I got a few years back. It'll do until I can get around to ordering a good 10/11 hole replacement but it looks ugly as sin.

I left the knobs off because I didn't like the ones the former owner put on. Unfortunately, the spare knobs I have are all for split shaft, so I'm going knobless for a few days until nice dome replacements come in.

Otherwise... The bass is freaking fantastic! It's a Road Worn, and every one of them that I've tried (except for one particularly lifeless one at the local GC) have just sang and sang. The neck totally feels like home. I actually like it a hell of a lot better than the neck on my AmStandard - But that's probably because the AmSt neck is basically in a brick of thick poly. I do need to knock some gloss off the back though. I can take or leave the relicing on the body (my wife thinks it's ghastly though), and I don't know how much extra relic came from the previous owner(s), but it works.

There was a total bonus with the bass to make up for the pickguard, which is one reason I didn't really complain about it (the other being that I ordered it from another store and of course -according to them - it wasn't the local GC's problem). It came with a Hipshot D-Tuner... I've always wanted to try one out but never got around to picking one up... I've always had enough basses to just leave one tuned Drop-D. I did find a downside to the D-Tuner though.. Darn thing blocks my view on my Planet Waves Tuner. :p

Fender%2520RW%2520D-tuner.

Don't say that I didn't warn you that it's ugly as sin with the (TEMPORARY) red pg but it plays like a total dream.
    Fender%2520RW%2520Body.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Congrats on the new to you P-bass. Yes, the temporary pickguard is shocking (both ways), but the sound and feel are not affected—besides, it wards off all those creepy "poser" comments, no? :D :D :D

Play the heck out of it!!!

3. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    Believe me, I am... (Much to the chagrin of my Masters classes homework assignments :ninja: )

One thing I've noticed is something that other's have mentioned about the pickups in the Road Worn series being somewhat low-output. Mine's a 2008, so its from towards the beginning of the run, I think and while it sounds awesome, it's coming up short in volume compared to my others. Might be time to drop a 62 like JimmyM did in his to rectify this.

4. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Hmmmn....I wonder if you might not consider pickup height adjustment and different strings first? Actually, what does it mean "low-output?" Compared to what and how does it matter? Just puzzled....

5. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    I've got the pickups dialed in pretty well as far as height. It may be the strings, I haven't switched those out yet. And compared to my other (passive) p's, it's just got a lot less volume to it - I have to crank the amp up a bit more to get it to the same volume level as the others. Though I do admit, my other MIM has a SPB-3 (Quarter Pounder) in it. The AmStandard has whatever Fender was using stock in 2010.

6. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    IMHO, the output of the pickups doesn't matter much as long as your rig's pre-amp, either the one build into the head, a pedal, or separate rack type is in good order. The gain just needs to go up a tiny increment.

Consider the difference in how hard you pluck, pick, or slap the strings. The energy input can vary hugely, not only between players, but musically with in a single passage. To me the only thing that matters is that there be a reasonable S/N ration and that the tone is what I want to work with. The exact level of output, as long as it is sufficient and also not clipping the pre, seems immaterial. All IMHO.