NAD: Finally got myself a Mesa Prodigy!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plastalmonus, May 18, 2018.

1. So I have been on the hunt for one of these for months now. Recently I got a Mesa Powerhouse 410 and loved it so much that my want of a Prodigy or Strategy ramped right up.

Now unfortunately in Australia these babies are expensive. The RRP on the Prodigy is $4,799 with a street price of about $3,700. The Strategy isn't even worth thinking about (there's one for $4,800 on special at the moment).

So my search has really been centred around the second hand market, which for Mesa bass gear is really non-existent.

Anyway, I stop by the music store near my rehearsal space last night as I know they have one and I thought I'd sit down and have a good go at it to see if that makes or breaks my want of one.

I plug my Dingwall in and am instantly sold. Really the online videos don't do this amp justice. The lows are really rounded and balanced and the highs don't get too clacky unless you ramp up the treble. I also love the voice knob. For more clean playing I set it to 2 and for more pick attack I put it to 4. I can really see how the footswitch for this would come in real handy.

Anyway, long story short, the price tag on it is $4,799 and I suspect the actual price will be around $3,800. The sales guy comes up and says that it sounds great and that he can cut me a deal on it as it's the last one they have. I ask how much and he tells me he'll do it for $2,799, brand new with cover.

I think about it for approximately 0.00001 seconds and say yes!

I went straight to rehearsal with it and used it through my PH410. With a Dingwall, Darkglass AO:U and this amp, my post-hardcore needs are answered. I still love my Orange AD200 and OBC810 but this rig gets me most of the way there and can fit in the back of my hatch without having to lay the seats down and deadlift the cab in :D

I had it on full power and the gain under 12:00 with the Master just a hair under 12:00 also and it dominated the room, even against a loud as heck drummer and a guitarist with thrash tendencies and an Engl Richie Blackmore 100 watter.

I will hopefully find some more interesting settings as I play with it more but right now a 250 watt tube head I can carry comfortably in one hand is a God send.

@agedhorse I am not sure if you had a hand in this one but if you did, well done! If not, then pass on my thanks :D

DJeBmz8.jpg
    Yd8XrNi.jpg

Snowglo, Pocket4, Turtle71 and 9 others like this.
  2. Actually if anybody knows, I just realised that mine doesn't have a PULL Gain Pot for BOOST.

Was this feature added later (meaning my amp is older than I thought) or removed from newer builds?

Not entirely sure how to date the serial number.

3. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Nice to hear such a glowing review of this amp......unique sounding tube amp....you say you prefer your AD200 still?

4. It's hard to say right now but the Orange will always hold a special place in my heart. That being said I can't think of a tone that I could get out of the Orange that I couldn't coax out of the Prodigy.

My tone for reference however is fairly aggressive. Think At The Drive-In, Glassjaw etc...

5. I had one for a year or so and liked it but traded it away because there was a big volume boost at around 98hz (open G string frequency) that I couldn’t adjust out with the onboard controls. I hope yours works better than mine did.

6. Not noticed that myself but will keep an ear out for it.

7. grimmchaos

grimmchaos

Nov 22, 2007
    On the newer ones you can pull the gain pot for boost, so yours is on the older side. I have no idea what year they made the change though. I definitely miss mine at times. My biggest issue was the 3 way input switch. I'd want to pad for my Spectors, but the active setting was the same as the bright setting while being padded. I would have preferred it to be a padded normal setting.

Plastalmonus likes this.
  8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The Strategy and Prodigy are the owner's designs (Randall Smith).

Plastalmonus likes this.