NAD. GK 700 RBii.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by samlloyd1976, Mar 7, 2019.

1. I was worried this amp wouldn't be loud enough. I was worried about nothing. This thing is LOUD.

I used to run a Presonus Studio Channel into a Crown XLS1000 power amp. I ran the Crown in bridge mode which supposedly puts out 1100W.

I have a Hartke 4.5XL which is ~400W @8 ohms. I would always have to crank the Crown to a few notches below max to compete with my guitarist.

Did a decibel reading on the iPhone this morning. Cranked at normal gig volume (i.e. almost at max) the Presonus/Crown was peaking around 109 dB with an average 103 dB.

Plugged the GK in, contour presence and boost at zero, eq flat, input volume at 11-12 o'clock and woofer (master volume) at 12 o'clock. Peaked around 111 dB with an average of 103 dB. Without even breaking a sweat and with no clipping/distortion.

This unit puts out 320W @ 8 ohms so I could safely crank the woofer all the way without pushing the cab too hard.

I don't think I'll ever need to be that loud. I am beyond impressed and happy with this choice of amp. There really is a difference between normal watts and "GK watts".

Attached Files:

petrus61, garp, BassPilot and 5 others like this.
  2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    You think its loud now, wait till you turn the boost knob up.

3. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I really like those RB series heads. Very powerful. But I would absolutely be careful with the master knob. Just because the watts look like it can’t damage the speakers, doesn’t mean that’s the case. Use your ears. If you hear the speakers breaking up, back off.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I had the old 700RB, it was 100 watts less and was still stupid loud.

samlloyd1976 likes this.
  5. BassPilot

BassPilot Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2016
    California
    So FYI:
    "Flat" on these amps is High and Low Mids at 1 o'clock and bass and treble at 11 o'clock. I run mine with and contour off (I like mids) and presence off (I don't like clank). And as @AdamR stated, watch the use of the Boost knob until you get to know the amp - It'll blow a hole in your torso if you're not careful!

samlloyd1976 likes this.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I o_O at 1100w cranked into a 400w Hartke cab!! :eek:

7. Thanks, good info! I’m still getting used to the controls and how it affects the sound. Even though the controls are “simple” compared to my semi-para eq etc it’s still so flexible with how you can mix and match and get really varying tones.

8. Yeah... the cab handled it like a champ. Never broke up. But the Crown never got the cones moving and was very “washy” sounding. I had to use compression to tighten up the sound and the eq on the Presonus just wasn’t suitable for bass in the end.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2021