1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

NAD: Tc electronic BH550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Emanuel Apascaritei, Jun 6, 2016.

1. This little red amp just arrived to me today!!

Looks so cool. It will be driving a Phil Jones Compact 4. Will report later how it goes.

:hyper::bassist:

Attached Files:

seamonkey, B-string and arai like this.
  2. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Congrats! I got one recently, too, only I then decided to get a BH800, even though I can't justify the need for 250 extra watts. I find it very easy to use and sounding very good in every way.

Emanuel Apascaritei likes this.
  3. Stone73

Stone73

Dec 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Awesome! I recently converted and doubt I will ever go back! It started with me buying the BH500, which is not a compact amp, while I was on tour as a replacement for my GK700rb. Have used many amps before and was ok with the durability of my GK but once I tried TCE, I heard what I was missing. It only got better once I got home and thought about investing in a compact amp and went for the BH550.
    One piece of advice I have is once you get a chance, update the firmware on it via your computer.
    I was curious to hear how matching the amp with the TCE K410 would sound...and...it...is...amazing! There is so much clarity of tone and bottom without farting out at high volume. Even handles my low B like no other setup I've had. I would love to hear what you think after testing it out!

4. I did update the firmware. First thing I did after the first fire up.

First impression: really good buit, Thought it was a little smaller and lighter. But it´s ok.

Tone: paired with the PJB C4 the tone is massive. It lacks no bottom or treble with the eq at 0. I thought the C4 sounded a little mid forward but I realized it was the Eden WT264 that a bass brother handed to me until I buy an amp. It´s pretty hi-fi and clean but organic at the same time wich I really like.

Volume: I didn´t test it in a gig situation but this thing goes really loud. I know many of you think about the real power the rh heads had but I don´t give a .... about it. It sounds massive and with a lot of power and authority. So I guess the rh thing doesn´t apply here at all.

Toneprints: are really cool, still testing them. Although I know tc precess power is one of the best (I use other TC gear: 4000 Reverb, Konnekt 48, Konnekt, 24. And used almost all their pro sound gear including the system 6000) I find the tubedrive a little sterile (Although I have to say that I´m really used to high-end pro audio tube preamps, compressor, eq so it´s hard to me to hear a good tube emulation). Modulaton fx are really good.

Layout: The mini toggle between the 2 toneprints is a really PITA, some space would have been great. I also miss a limiting light in the amp stage.

Great little amp. It´s a keeper.

5. Here is a pic with the PJB C4

Attached Files:

mbbassmojo likes this.
  6. I forgot about the fan noise. What fan noise?

It only starts when you push it and even then it´s quiet. Love it! This would have been an issue for me but TC got it right!

The fan noise on the Eden wt264 is loud....can´t stand it!

7. And most importantly, the colors match.

8. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    There's really a lot of magic in the BH tone circuit. I think they did a good job with the EQ. A little bit goes such a long way in either direction, but the tone is just fantastic with everything straight down the middle. I think the tone goes right down the middle between vintage and modern and I'd be happy with the BH tone in any band I could ever see myself playing in. I feel like the amp is neutral and transparent, but in all the right ways.

At band volume, you'll find that the TubeDrive gives you just a little bit of something that helps your tone sit better in the mix. I use "The Grind" patch and dial in just a little bit. You can get a less extreme setting for the Tone Print and dial it more of it, but I like it the other way more. Perhaps it doesn't hold up next to expensive comps and drives under close listening in isolation, but with other instruments going on, you'll appreciate what it does.

9. Why do you think I went with the TC? :smug:

DerekW likes this.
  10. Right on! I did check "the grind" toneprint and sound more like a SVT. If you don´t drive it hard it gives your that huge bottom SVT is known for but without breaking up. Like it!

Now I have it setted to: toneprint 1 - the grind. Toneprint 2 - Victor Wooten Chorus. I´m stil testing...

honeyiscool likes this.
  11. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    You should invest in the foot switch for it. I think it's about $35 bucks. You can switch tonerprints on the fly and/or use it as a mute button. I think its called the Helicon.

12. I know but I´m not a bug fan of pedals....will see. Thanks!

13. Yesterday I tried to record with the balanced output and it was noisy. I than checked it out with the Eden wt264 and the Eden was dead quiet. So I assume is the TC output.:(

I just emailed and phoned the shop where I bought it from and waiting for a soltution.

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You should also contact Music Group support, look at the TC Electronics site
    I've heard great things about them.

Pre/Post switch can make a difference.
    Matching the gain on the interface/mixer also can make a difference.
    I'm sure there's nothing wrong, TC really knows the Electronics world.

I expect some really good heads from TC eventually coming out from their merger with the Music Group. Exciting times.

15. I have contacted Tc support and they got in touch with me very quickly. So for the skeptical ones, the Tc support works great. At least my experience.

The gave me some measurements points and after some testing, everything seems to be ok. I have recorded without perceptible noise and the sound quality was great.

I'm happy I didn't have to return it because it's a great little amp.

himluis1, honeyiscool and seamonkey like this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021