1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Name your method for defeating GAS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Besides acquiring the gear in question, how do you subdue that terrible beast known to so many as GAS?

For me, it's just taking the time to appreciate what I already have and what I can do with it.

2. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Looking at my bank balance. Works until the number goes back up.

3. I generally try to watch sports or quit looking at TB. :|

4. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Pay cash.

5. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    That and the look on my wifes face everytime the big brown truck pulls up at my front door:D

6. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I cure GAS by using whatever money I hav to pay off my car and student loans. I basically make myself "broke" of all the money I have. Instead of a LMII I have 600$ less before my car is paid off.

This works for me but sucks in many ways. I am really ready to be debt free. Plus I figure everyone that I borrowed money from could really use it right now.

7. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Well, you already answered what i had to say,

Although its not always the best choice, i usually buy the things i like. But, its only the things i REALLY like. Though sometimes it changes once i learn more, or find other options.

But thats the fun in all of this!
    At least its the part i enjoy the most :)

8. Ditto! :crying:

9. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Play more, buy less. I've got a fair amount of nice gear. I get GAS when I lose sight of that. Actually, it's more than that. When I'm too busy to enjoy what I've got, I try to compensate by buying something. When I slow down and make time to play my GAS pains subside to a large degree.

KO

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That...and paying in cash. Having a vehicle on the verge of crapping out and a larger mortgage doesn't hurt either. Oh and a 2 year old, and...

11. tried everything... life groups, books, doctor, camping, medicine, therapy... nothing seems to work but getting the gear in question and/or buying shoes for wife until no money left.
    :D

jokes aside, I think the same happens to me. When I'm feeling a GAS attack approaching, learning something new (bass/music wise) I feel the syndom to go away for some time.
    It appears again easily by checkin' out the "official show-your-basses" and/or "fretless club" theads.

12. ilovethesechord

ilovethesechord

Jun 27, 2008
    I wank off a guitar center. The employees are usually disgusted, but MAN.. it feels so good.:atoz:

13. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    "Find a real treasure"

(Can't take credit for that, think I saw that here....)

14. gr8fulhiker

gr8fulhiker

Mar 24, 2008
    I take a breeak from playing. After a few days I get so antsy that even my tired old bass feels fantastic in my hands and my modest little amp sounds great. I guess its a way to trick myself into appreciating what I have and realizing that its way better than nothing.

15. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    K-I-D-S

16. masturbation:p
    >.>
    im kidding.

anyways, as a student, its really hard for me to cure(temporarily anyways) G.A.S.
    theres no way you can get around G.A.S.

17. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    when i want to not GAS i have to cut myself off from TB for a while, and think about all the other more viable uses for my money [student loans, car payments, savings, etc].

recently thinking about how banks are collapsing sort of helps, but my brain argues the point that it is better to have equity than money at this point, since there is a chance our currency will collapse too...

18. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    [​IMG]

:smug:

Sorry.. Couldn't resist...

19. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    I just play my '73 Jazz.

When you own the perfect bass, there is no need for another. :D

(Actually, I bought an SX 5-er to try the low B. I gig with it and use it on a handful of songs. I just EQ the SX to sound as close as possible to the Jazz.)

20. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    The best cure for me is to get busy playing and using what I have, then you don't have time to surf the net (TB) and see what you don't have.

I find a lot of my "tone woes" goes away in a band situation, cause I don't have the time to nitpick every frequency coming out of my amp/bass/pedals/etc that I do when I sit in my apartment playing by myself.

When I switched to bass (from g****r), I had 1 bass for 6 1/2 years cause I was busy playing all the time and that bass was good enough for everything at the time.