Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name your Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 10, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have tried dozens of different strings from D'Addirio to Musician Friend/Rogue strings and just about everything inbetween. Price is a factor, sometimes, but feel and lasting power are the main ones. I find that I stray, but always run back to D'Addario XL160's. They are my favorite. What are yours? How often do you change strings and at what cost?

I use D'Addario XL 160's, every 3 months or so, $25 for a 2 pack

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm pretty enthusiastic about LaBella. I just put some Deep Talkin' Flats on my Jazz Bass (760 FS) and I like them a lot. I didn't think I wanted flats on this bass, but I tried it at church yesterday and I think they're keepers.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I currently like DR Lo Riders. They cost, what like $24? Maybe.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Rotosound FUnkmasteres for everything.

5. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I use DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams on my fretted and Rotosound Jazz Bass Flatwounds on my fretless.

6. DR Sunbeams (nickel plated roundwounds, with round core). I like the feel and also the tone, not as sparkly as the stainless steel though.
    DR's always seem to last pretty long, but their main plus for me is the tone.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For the longest time it was LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels for my Soundgears and Stingray. Then I switched to bassguitarstrings.us' Ironman Strings (still on my ABG) and then I decided to try the D'Addario ProSteels and I must say I liked them at first, but they don't have the life of the LaBella's IMO.

I have a fretless on the way strung with TI Jazz Flats, if those don't work, I'm gonna try D'Addario Chromes, LaBella Deep Talkin' Basses.

I did find out Sadowsky Strings are made by E&O Mari, the makers of LaBella, so I may be interested there too.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    My favorites D'Addario Chromes [don't change then till they break or stop being "in-tune"], then: D'Addario XLs, Alembics, GHS piccolo boomers, Ken smith and TI jazz flats.

9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Fodera Diamond Series / SS / .028-.120 / 35" scale. They sound and feel great and they last forever.

10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    T.I.J.F.'s changed annually.

11. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Just got a set of DR Lo-Rider Nickels. Awesome strings, the last set I had was on since April 04, which is pretty long for me. Plus they sound great on my SR500, especially recorded.

12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I ALWAYS seem to come back to D'addario XL220's on my 4 string. Still haven't found anything I'm happy with on the six string.

13. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    In the three years I've been playing I've had 3 (technicall 4) pairs of stings :D I know that's strange but I don't have the time or money to bother with dead strings. My favorite are DR high-beams.

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    How does it save money & time to not not bother with buy and changing strings? If you don't like the sound fine, but yes it does sound strange. :confused:

15. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's the thing. It doesn't sound strange to me. Then I buy new strings and the difference is night and day but I wouldn't say it sounds "bad" when I play on dead roundwounds. I'm getting better about replacing them. I bought some strings at the beginning of october and I'm about to buy a set within the next month. That's 3 or 4 months instead of a year.

16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Rotosound 55's, 66's & 77's. How often I change them depends on the bass & how long I've played on that set.
    1 month to 6 mos. or more. It depends.

Slug

17. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    D'Addario XL220's (.040, .060, .075, .090) on my 4-string for hundreds of years. On my six I've tried different sets through the years, but nowadays I use Carvin's (.029, .040, .060, .080, .100, .128) nickel roundwound set (which I think are LaBellas in disguise.)

I change 'em well, whenever. I actually don't care too much for that super-fresh zingy string sound as much as I used to. After about a week or two of settling in is about the optimal sound for me.

18. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Changed strings a couple of weeks ago.. and i think i have found my strings... Elixir Nanoweb...

19. Dean Markley Blue Steel 50-128 on my Stingray5. Bite, punch, warmth and clarity.

20. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    DR Highbeams