1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Names for Octaves

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by baddarryl, Apr 1, 2009.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Hi
    Is there a proper name for each octave as you go up the neck? I am making notes on Worship songs and was just wondering what the correct terminology is for that as one verse may use higher notes and the second on the bottom or whatever. Easy music to play, but a lot of room for experimentation which is also cool. Thank you.

2. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    IIRC (it's been a while since music theory class...), the C between the treble and bass clefs is middle C and is denoted as C4 (the 4th C key from the bottom on an 88-key keyboard). The C an octave below C4 is C3 and the C an octave above C4 is C5.

Likewise the A above C4 is A4, etc etc etc. :)

This should explain everything for you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation

I play praise bass with a keyboardist from time to time and it's really helpful when he tells me which key and octave he is playing in so that I can know whether to double, or play the lower/higher octaves. :)