Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nanny and Dragonetti dates

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by travatron4000, Nov 18, 2004.

1. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm playing the 1st movt. of the "Dragonetti Concerto" though from what i'm gather and what it says on my music it was composed by edouard nanny. What are the dates for Nanny? I can't find them anywhere.

Travis

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I don't get it.....dates? Date when the concerto was composed?

3. Hi ! I read somewhere that it was a Nanny concerto attributed to Dragonetti. I am not sure of what it implies regarding who wrote it !

There must be some notes in French or in Italian on the score. Please transcribe it so that we can translate it.

4. Travis

Edouard Nanny (1872-1943)

According to David Walter's notes in his edition of the concerto, the first publication was by Leduc in 1925. Leduc is the publisher that put's out all of the Nanny methods and compostitions. It is still not known for sure who wrote the bass part, but the piano part was surely composed by Nanny.

Jon

5. Until today there is no evidence if Nanny or Dragonetti wrote the work. Nevertheless, we can compare the "Dragonetti concerto" to other Dragonetti compositions, like those recorded by Italian Ubaldo Fioravanti, works which don'y have the brilliance of our Nanny-Dragonetti concerto.

On the other hand, take Lorenzetti's Gavotte, which is so similar to
    "Dragonetti's concerto" that I come to the conclusion that it was Edouard Nanny who wrote both.

That was also a commom practice at the time : it seemed more attractive to present a new work as a rediscovery. It's the case for
    "Johann Christian Bach's viola concerto", in fact written by Casadesus.
    Fritz Kreisler wrote inumerous "transcriptions", many of his own hand
    and all excellent music.

The Eccles sonata is quite another problem : bassists think it was written for viola da gamba, while violists are sure it is original for viola
    (I mean viola, not viola da gamba). Well, it is an original violin sonata.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    So does this mean that Dragonetti never played this concerto on his 3-String D'Salo.. or any othe Bass for that matter?

7. Probably we'll never know. We have indications that the first one to play this concerto maybe was E. Nanny. Probably Dragonetti played the concerto recorded by Fioravanti.

8. Apparently in the British Museum there are 10 original manuscripts of concerti actually written by him, and none of them are the Concerto in A. Why haven't these been published? Accounts from the day have him doing all the gymnastics required in the famous concerto, so one could easily imagine him playing something like that. I think that it is interesting how the first movement of the Nanny arrangement abruptly ends prior to the recapitulation. It almost sound like the last part of the first movement was added later. To bad there aren't more music scholars interested in this.

Jon

9. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i know this is an old thread, but i'm interested in this as well. any internet searches of dragonetti will lead to this A major concerto, with no clear point as to who wrote the bass part. is it possible that dragonetti wrote it?