1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nano-Rigs of “Doom”

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Adam Bomb, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Brethren and Sistren—I give you . . . the Nano-Rig of DOOM ( doom - doom - doom - doom)

Make that, "Doom”, in quotes. I’d love to see your very smallest rigs that could reasonably be used on a low-volume gig with no other support. No hard-hitting drummers involved. Say, a rig that would sit well in the mix with a quiet drummer and an acoustic guitar and is also impossibly tiny. You’re not going to make anybody poop their pants with it, but it’s definitely more than a practice amp.

This is what I’m thinking (subject to input by the group, mods, trolls etc.):

--a headphone amp or DI box is Nano but has little or no Doom by itself.

--a Mesa Walkabout Scout has Doom covered, but is not Nano.

--IDK what it weighs but I think that Markbass 112 combo is a Nano-Rig of “Doom”.

--I would not consider my Line 6 Studio 110 to be a NRO“D”. More like a practice amp that I have used inappropriately.

--Phil Jones, maybe?​

What I’m rocking, as of yesterday: a GK MB200 head on a GK 112MBX extension cab.

5108753761_f0fe7b1360_z.

That’s 140 watts coming out of a 12-inch driver. Pretty loud and sounds great. Nineteen point five (19.5) pounds.

5108753855_e530457356_z.

What I’d really like to see are rigs putting out over 100 watts and weighing less than 20 pounds. But is that even possible??? Oh, yeah, it is.

One more, with Dee:

5109352718_e878df2139_z.

I will not be issuing numbers, as there are enough mediocre bassists in the world to keep me busy with that. Hopefully someone else will feel like assigning numbers. But as the OP I am assigning myself Number 1.

Anyone else got a little bitty teeny tiny gig rig? I know you're out there--

--Bomb :bassist:
    Nano-Rigs of “Doom” Club #1

2. l_09061e657b02063f95e4b30e9d50523b.

damn - smaller than mine :D

I think that little GK is a great idea, I want one bad!!

3. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Is it just me, or is that a really big cat with really tiny paws?

4. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Tiny paws of doom.

5. onetime

onetime

Mar 26, 2009

Now that is funny. It made me laugh out loud.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    cute cute cute! pugs are such fun dogs...until they sleep ;)

alaskaleftybass, Waksfly and Mike A like this.
  7. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I don't have a picture of my exact unit but this is mine:

STL3010T_sm.

Adam Bomb, alaskaleftybass and SteveC like this.
  8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I like your cat. Have we now gone from mini-rigs of doom to nano rigs of doom? When's it going to end? I'm going to invent a system that can pipe the bass directly into people's brains and eliminate the need to plug into anything. You could actually think your way through the gig from home and not even show up.:D

Adam Bomb and alaskaleftybass like this.
  9. Bassdude404

Bassdude404

Oct 23, 2010
    But then we would miss all the female eye candy getting drunk and slutty dancing in the bar!!...No fun in that...:meh:

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

That would also be piped into your brain as if it were happening right in front of you, right along with the drunk guy knocking over your mic stand and the bartender shorting your pay at the end of the night.:D

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Oh...and the drunk chick throwing up in your car while her clothes are still on......

12. Bassdude404

Bassdude404

Oct 23, 2010
    Ahhh....Virtual reality huh??.....:help:

13. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    I was hoping to see you here!

Oh, heck ya. That'll get 'er done.

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

Dee loves TB. She always stands right in front of the monitor whenever I'm on it ... *tail in face*

--Bomb :bassist:
    Nano-Rigs of “Doom” Club #1

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Is it virtual or is it reality??? Take the blue pill and it'll all be ok....or is it the red one??.....Uh Oh...wait a minute.

Myself, I'd rather plug into whatever gives the umph I need plus a little extra just in case. Depending on the situation that could be a 112 or a full stack slaved to another full stack....different strokes.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    'Nano-Rigs of “Doom”' = oxymoron.

:)

16. BBQV

BBQV

Feb 13, 2010
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Mesa Walkabout may not be Nano but it kicks serious butt in a small package...

17. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    I think I've got the doom aspect covered lol...
    72d8cf72.

Every week I play house bass in a very large pub. I walk into town (20 mins) with bass, amp, compressor and cables on my back in an igig, and the midget T in it's cover I just carry in one hand. Play for three hours, drink about four pints of guinness and black and then carry it all home, no problems, it's very very light :-D
    Pretty often I don't bother to DI. (ok pretty often the band beg me not to!!) No need! It's flippin LOUD!!

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  18. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    That's the Midget? I thought it was the Compact.....

19. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Yup midget t. Pic is a bit close for true scale heres the other pics I've got
    5a19b68a.
    69efcf31.
    With a compact, a berg ae210 and a promethean p110c for scale.

0e4781d9.

20. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass

Nov 6, 2008
    Boulder CO
    How does the Barefaced tone compare to the Berg tone?

Never heard of Barefaced before, just came from the website...very interested. The 9.0 to a tough 12 could bring some doom. My 9.0 in to an Avatar 112NEO brings some serious tone and decent volume, but the 250W rated avatar farts well under what the 9.0 can give. Do you run in to farting issues with the Barefaced?