Nash basses, are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twc1313, Sep 26, 2022.

1. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Hi all, I'm considering getting a true fancy big boy bass and have noticed the Nash basses.

What are the advantages of these vs say a Fender Am Pro II or something comparable?

ed morgan likes this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The relic'd ones?

3. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    I’d say it’s subjective. If you’re super into the crazy vintage looking relic’d vibe and well constructed / lightweight builds, Nash will probably be right up your alley.
    You can literally see why the aesthetic won’t suit everyone’s needs. But all of the Nash basses I’ve tried have sounded amazing and have felt great to play, super cozy.
    I’m more into modding $300 used Classic Vibes myself, maybe someday I’ll snag a cheapie Roadworn J or P. The Nate Mendel Signature bass I had was probably the best feeling Precision I’d ever owned.. better feeling than any Am Pro II/III / iiixxiv whatever number they’re on now lol

Wolfhound32 and bassbully like this.
  4. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

I’ve owned a couple of Nash basses, one was a 57PB that I let go, the one I still own is a 63PB with a J pickup. Both have J necks, I let the 57 go because it was a straight P and I have just never been a P kind of guy. Both are awesome basses and I have never played a Nash that wasn’t awesome. The only people I have found that don’t like them are people who have a problem with relics. Clearly I like them and I don’t care what other people think. You will probably get relic haters reply here, ignore them. A good relic gets a ton of love from the audience who don’t care how it happened. The finishes are pretty fragile, the bare spots around the rear pickup in the picture have all been done naturally in the year that I have owned it, so it becomes your own quickly.
    4EFD8B87-DAE0-497D-B7B0-5ADEDE0413CD.jpeg

5. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Yum yeah I’d play that one :thumbsup::bassist:

Cracker7 and kobass like this.
  6. Ant B 2021

Ant B 2021 Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Atlantic Highlands NJ
    I would highly recommend, but the heavy-relic finish isn't for everyone, I acknowledge. That said, I love it. It plays well, sounds fantastic.

4E0CCB2E-3A4B-46A3-BB4F-DA340070DF83.jpeg

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    They have great necks. Great players. And Lollar pickups stock.

BrentSimons, The Owl and cataract like this.
  8. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    they are awesome. i like relics if done well, a light relic with a nice worn neck is the way to go.

Avezzano likes this.
  9. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Yes, great players. Feel like an old friend.

10. akukulich

akukulich Gold Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    I think the only Nash I've ever played in the '57 P/J that I own. It's light, perfectly balanced, and it plays and sounds great. I got it for a reasonable price and have since spoken to Bill Nash once or twice. He seems like a great guy. The relic job on mine is fairly conservative compared to some that I've seen. I'm perfectly fine with that. They are definitely worth a look.

11. Depends on how much “it” is worth.

12. Bpb

Bpb

Jan 6, 2014
    Are the worn parts treated in any way or are they raw wood that will need frequent oil ect?

13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Nashes usually have essentially no finish on the neck. While that feels good, it's not the best approach for stability over time - you might get lucky and get one that doesn't move much, or you might not. You are rolling the dice a bit, but so long as you know that, roll away.

14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Worth it if U love it, because you can’t put a price on happiness.

15. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I like mine. Light relic is an option that I chose for mine.

kbakerde and BrentSimons like this.
  16. Never played one of their basses but had a blonde T52 that was the bees knees...great guitar.

Personally I wouldn't go heavy relic but he lighter relics have a perfectly played in feel and cool vibe IMO.

17. Mikey F

Mikey F

Aug 12, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have a PB-63 and it is awesome. The necks are just amazing.
    It came set up perfectly, the fret work is great, and the neck is very stable.

The lollar pick ups sound great.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  18. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard.

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. The one I’m looking at is light relic and I like that since it’s mostly on the next which seems functional. How well regarded are the Lollers?

Mikey F likes this.
  19. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

I've got a PB-52 and love it. FWIW.

Jason Stock likes this.
  20. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Lollars are great. In the same league as Fralin, Arcane, Klein, FCS, etc.

Pet Sounds likes this.