Nathan Watts

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jamh2000, Dec 11, 2004.

1. jamh2000

Aug 15, 2001
    Anyone else think this guy is a phenomenal player who has never got the credit he deserves? He was and has been Stevie Wonder's bass player since Song in the Key of life and done some really amazing bass work over the years. It amazes me how perfect the bass parts on 'songs in the key..' are- the height of inventiveness, pocket and unselfishness- check out any of his live work as well -'natural wonder' is a good example- he just lays it down like no one else- one of the best soul bass players in the business, the live versions of 'love's in need of love todays' and 'you are the sunshine of my life' are good examples.
    Anyone else a fan?
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Absolutely! I was playing along (poorly) with "I Wish" and "Sir Duke" last night, thinking about how bad Watts is.
  3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Try on "Do I Do" for size. It's a beast.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Sir Duke is one of my favorite warmups, He covers a lot of real estate on that one.
  5. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Yes, Nate is all that, I love to listen to him with Stevie Wonder, his bass lines really smoke :hyper:
  6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    BTW, if anyone tries the Stevie Wonder tabs on Talk Bass, while most of the notes are right, the tabs are written much harder than the parts actually are. Most of his lines on the songs tabbed here are straight pentatonic blues boxes with some passing tones added. Any big leaps are usually along the string rather than across the strings.
  7. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Been a big fan of Nathan's playing forever. He sits so far in the middle of the pocket it's frightening. Solid and Tasty.
  8. yeah, i really like what he ahs doen with Stevie WOnder. i enjoy playing with "I Wish" and "sir Duke" but my favorite bas sline that ive heard of his is " Master Blaster(We Be Jamming)." it might just be because i like the bridge part its sorta a solo. yeha its cool
  9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Second it!