1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBCD (New bass case Day)- Glenn Cronkhite!

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by MrSidecar, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Well, this took a while.
    But here it is.

026AB160-FA5E-4930-B83C-8AF91EE0E347. 801009F5-8357-479B-92DE-EE732C27B884.
    Pics show the case loaded with my bass inside.
    The impression is
    - lighter than expected
    - tank-solid
    - top-notch workmanship, second to nothing

The padding is this thick stuff I know from old reunion blues cases. There is not a spot from top to bottom where it feels as though you’re feeling the bass through on the outside, it’s supreme protection even at the scroll and the wooden tuner pegs. All the patches are black leather, and none of the handles feels even remotely weak.
    Great to carry.

Chances are, getting in an accident will be worst for the other part.

Highly recommended! (You can get them in pure leather as well, if style comes way before weight for you and money is no issue).

Best
    Sidecar

wathaet, Earl, Reiska and 1 other person like this.
  2. Expensive?

3. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    drool

4. Kinda sorta.

Their website price now is $784, I paid considerably less due to an autumn discount and a lower initial price (they started out at $660).

But, since this is an investment you probably make once every 30 years, I figured price is secondary. Plus- US made and really superior quality.

Best
    Sidecar

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Glenn built my case at when he was working at Reunion Blues sometime around 1987. It’s still in great shape even though the handles need to be replaced soon. So it’s over 30 years old.

6. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Does it come with a shoulder strap? Is the material waterproof?

7. Earl,

It comes with backpack straps and those can work as shoulder straps. As to waterproof- both the outer and the inner materials are are super-dense, so unless you take the bass under the shower, water won’t be an issue. According to the company, waterproofing with shoe spray wouldn’t make a difference. I’d call it waterproof for everyday use.

Best
    Sidecar

Earl likes this.
  8. Earl,
    I’d like to add I’ve been a shoulder strap advocate for the past 18 years. Always thought a double bass is too big and bulky for backpacking. But as it turns out now I really like the backpack way of carrying. I can walk longer distances (in commute traffic for example) easier and it feels as though it’s easier on the back than the typical banana posture I forced myself into with my shoulder strapped mooradian bag.

Best
    Sidecar

Ed Fuqua and Earl like this.
  9. Love the look of this bag!
    ... and you can’t have too many “grab points” on a DB gig bag!

Reminds me of the old moth eaten brown canvas bag that came with my old (1950s) Kay.
    Of course since replaced, but dig the old skool vibe and appreciate your take on buying quality once...

10. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    Tried to order two cases from them, but nada answer.

11. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    Looks like a really great case..:):hyper: but the website of Mr. Cronkhite is "a little bit" confusing.....:woot::smug:
    There is just a "small difference" between doublebasses and "bass guitars ;) so you must have an "idea" where to look :)

wathaet likes this.
  12. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Cool! Just be careful of doorways and low hanging trees!

13. Right on-
    Many years ago I biked to meet a teacher with my fender fretless 90s Japan jazz bass (long sold), and in a turn, the headstock hit a low hanging traffic sign. Lifted me from the bike and had me landing on the curb rather badly. Not intending a repeat.

Best
    Sidecar

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Nothing beats backpack straps for going up a set of stairs. Going down stairs is another issue...

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It kinda looks like my old Lemur case, which had some issues....
    NYC area bassists

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    You spell "stairs" funny.

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Just to the corner.
    Siriusly, if I meant "escalator" I would have typed "escalator". But I didn't, I typed stairs. In the subway here, too, here are many escalators that have low overhangs, which is why I didn't type "Backstraps are just the ticket for going up escalators." Or even "Back packs are NOT the ticket for going up escalators" at which point I guess you would have typed something like "Here it's no problem to use backpack straps to go up stairs."
    So now I have to ask, where were you going with that?

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    And some are...