NBD: 1984 Yamaha BB 3000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PJ Muzikmansky, May 9, 2021.

1. Hi everyone.

I've loved vintage Yamaha BB basses since the 1980's but was never able to get my hands on one until early last year, when I tracked down my '82 BB2000.

Well, as luck would have it, the gentleman from whom I bought the 2000 also had a 1984 MIJ 3000 sitting in its case under the bed. He decided to sell it recently, so on the strength of our previous transaction, offered it to me at a very reasonable price. Needless to say I jumped at the chance.

I drove up, played it for two minutes, forked over the cash, drove home, set it up and plugged it into the Berg Forte HP and BAM, there was THAT sound again. The ultimate PJ sound IMO. The bass came strung with Thom jazz flats, which seem to suit it rather well, so they'll be staying on for the foreseeable future.

The 3000 is slightly smaller and more svelte than the 2000 {which is by far the biggest heaviest bass I've ever played, but I'm a big guy so it doesn't bother me one bit, in fact I like the heft }. I'd say it's a fraction larger than my EB MM stingray.

Here they are.

I've included the 2000 for comparison {It looks larger in the bottom pic because it's closer to the camera. The difference in size, while noticeable, is not as great as the pic suggests}. DSC04020 (2).JPG DSC04033 (2).JPG DSC04026 (2).JPG DSC04021 (2).JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Congrats! I have an '84 BB3000S and it is hands down one of the best basses ever mass produced. A desert island bass for sure, never to be sold.
    Mine is white. After a number of string tries, last year I decided to load up a set of Chromes. They are perfect for me and the bass loves them.
    I won't use anything else.

And you're right. It's got THAT PJ tone, the kind that you read about.

Good catch and good luck with it.

PJ Muzikmansky likes this.
  3. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Congrats! Nice bass! Just out of curiosity, what are the weights of both of those basses?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a sweet pair! That BB2000 makes me weak at the knees!:bassist:

5. BB2000 ~ 12.5 - 13lbs

BB3000 ~ 10.5lbs

Heavy in weight, heavy in tone {particularly the BB2000}

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I got rid of my 2000 mostly because of the weight, I prefer the 3000 standard p bass PU anyway. I owned a bunch of these old Yamaha's over the years but I still think my favorite was the BB 450 , think a bolt on version of the 3000 and not so much bling. I would rock one of these 80's 3000 anyday, a very nice piece you have here, doesnt look like it saw much action either and was well taken care of. Enjoy

7. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Wow. Thanks.

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Very nice!!

9. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I want a BB3000 so bad..never played one. Those arent TI jazz flats, more likely Chromes due to the blue thread:thumbsup:

PJ Muzikmansky and Mvilmany like this.
  10. .......and the multi-colored ball ends.

PJ Muzikmansky, Mvilmany and FishDub like this.
  11. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    Milford, PA
    whoa thats nice..dig that neck in 2nd pic......never tried one of those!...cool

12. FishDub...come to think of it, you're correct about the chromes. I confused them with the strings the gentleman had on his other bass - those were TI jazz flats.

Yes, the 3000 is a great bass. The neck in particular is sublime.

FishDub likes this.
  13. Thanks my friend :)

14. Nice find play it well. Back in the day I traded a rather worn late 60s Pbass for a BB3000 that I toured with for several years, a fine instrument but we never bonded. .

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021