1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! After a quarter century, a perfect pair

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monterey Bay-ss, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

As I modded my pointy old Electra X700JB (my avatar comes from that NBD) into a fire-breathing P-bass over the last year, I found myself wanting of a sonic match in a five-string. Unfortunately for me they didn’t make a ton of five-strings in Japan in the ‘80s, and it seems that five-string P-basses haven’t really caught on, either. I want to love the Spector Legend 5 Classic I acquired last fall but even after some mods I still haven’t found a sound of my own with it that really does it for me. After a deal for one of those rare five-string P-basses fell through, I found myself playing the five-string I had bought new back in 1995 … and loving it more than ever! I set out to find a four-string to match that one.

Well, I have had the five for 24 years, and the four for 24 hours. Mission accomplished!
    14E5E628-3359-4356-AEF1-83B99E4A14FB.

Apparently, my 14-year-old self knew something it would take my 38-year-old self a while to figure out! Let’s be clear: the Ibanez ATK does not sound like a P-bass. It does, however, make it really easy for me to sound like me.

My pointy fire-breathing P-bass still has its place, as it has the edge when I start heaping dirt on parts, but I tend not to use a fifth string in those situations. With the four- and five-string ATKs, it would seem I now have a consistent core sound regardless of range.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Ironbar, murphy, BassmanM and 3 others like this.
  2. Cool.
    Many problems can be solved by adding more Ibanez.

murphy and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  3. Monterey Bay-ss

... and old Peavey amps!

murphy likes this.
  4. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Congratulations! But they are probably heavy beasts? I played an ATK 305 exclusively for 4 years, it weighed in at 4.7 kg (10.36 lbs)....

I hope you are already a member of the ATK club. :thumbsup:

Official ATK Club (Part 4)

Monterey Bay-ss and murphy like this.
  5. Monterey Bay-ss

Heavy: yes, especially the five.

Club: I hadn’t thought to look for one. Thanks for the tip!

BassmanM likes this.