NBD (and immediate neck swap): Fender Precision + 70's Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CPplaysBASS, May 26, 2017.

1. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    This turned out to be a bit more of a journey than originally planned, but it worked out beautifully :)

I have two MIA Fender P's that are my main gigging basses, but I also had a 50's P Classic because it sounded great and I've always had more basses than I need (eight basses at one time is my personal record, currently have five).

Anyway, I've never been one to hesitate making changes to the basses I have. It's part of the fun for me. I also have a preference for rosewood fingerboards over maple, so when someone advertised to trade a rosewood Fender neck for maple, that was change number one to the 50's P. A custom pickup was the next change soon after.

Then I started jonesing for a fretless bass, and converted the 50's Classic. It was done extremely well by a professional. However, as most would know, there's a reason you see more fretless Jazzes than P's. The bridge pickup in the Jazz is where the mwah lives. Converting the P was a mistake, but I didn't regret having a beautiful fretless neck that I could use elsewhere in the future.

So I started searching for a Jazz specifically to swap necks with. Once I saw the binding and blocks on the 70's Jazz, I had to have it. Extra bonus is that the 70's bridge pickup is a little closer to the bridge, which I assumed would work well for fretless mwah tone. I was lucky to quickly find a brand new one within driving distance. I picked it up just this past Tuesday.

Long story short, both basses are killer. I played the P with the Jazz neck for 3-hours last night at rehearsal, and I was in my glory. I will definitely be using it live. The 70's Jazz body with the fretless neck also exceeded my expectations (although I can't imagine ever having the confidence to play it live. Tons of basement fun though).

I know some will think, "why didn't you just keep your P-bass the way it was way back, and simply buy a Jazz fretless in the first place?" Well, hindsight is 20/20 and if I did that, I wouldn't have ended up with what I have now .. and I'm over-the-moon with what I have now.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I flippin' love those Classic '70s necks! drool It was the main reason I bought one AND it's what I kept when I had to sell some gear. Not that there was anything at all wrong with the body, and while I still kinda-sorta regret selling it, I just have to remind myself that it was necessary at that time. Still, I have that most-excellent neck and have plans to mount it onto a very special project bass.

CPplaysBASS likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022