1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Aria Pro II LEB Classic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hellbastard, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Here's my new to me 1985 Matsumoku Era, Aria Pro II LEB Classic. :hyper:
    It is in really good shape for a 26 year old bass.

3 Piece Ash Body in See-through Red Finish
    3 Piece Maple Neck with maple accent stripes.
    22 Frets Rosewood Fingerboard

Active circuit. 18 volts (Really nice headroom) low-pass/high-pass filter tone control.
    The Tone control has a center detent at 5. In active mode turning it clockwise acts as a high-pass filter, counterclockwise acts as a low-pass filter.

In Passive mode, the tone control at 5 (Center detent) gives the same sound output a Normal a tone control would give at 10 (Full)

When I got the Bass, I took out all the electronics and fully shielded all the electronic cavities. There's still a hum when the Bridge Jazz pickup is engaged, though. Maybe I need to take it apart and shield the pickup cover too.

The Neck pickup sound really great and "beefy" when soloed. The jazz bridge pickup isn't really good and has a really weak output signal by itself, but it works ok in combination with the bridge pickup.

The neck feels really good to me. I'm used to chunky necks, like warwick's and Warmoth's, this Bass has a slimmer neck. Thankfully not as slim as some Ibanez basses.

I'm really impressed by this bass, the Truss rod was in perfect shape and it didn't took much to adjust it to my tastes. The intonation is perfect. The sound and feel of it is second to none, IMO. I paid €250 for it, with case. I don't think I could have bought anything new that would have come close to the quality and sound of this bass.

As the Rule says no pics...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    Nice score. Ive been wanting an Aria ProII lately. I haven't seen this model before.

OOD likes this.
  3. If you get one, you won't regret it. The quality of this bass is really great and the playability is awesome. If this model, which was kind of the entry level of Aria back in the 80's, is so great. I can't imagine how good the quality of the High End neck-through designs feel like.

The Laser Electric Bass was produced only between 85 and 86, right before Matsumoku's factory closed and Aria moved production to Korea, I think.
    There were two versions of this Bass, the Passive Electronics Heritage and the Classic with active/passive elctronics.

4. I've got that exact same bass. (With almost identical nicks in it.) I bought it only because I wanted the hard case the person was including with it. My plan was to sell the bass and keep the case. Once it was setup and I played it, I had to keep it.

This may be the most under-rated bass ever. I have a new Fender American Deluxe Jazz that is wonderful, but the last two times I picked up a bass to play, it was the Aria.

5. Indeed this Bass sounds really amazing. I just wish the Jazz Pickup had a bit more of output.
    Would you mind posting pictures of your bass?

6. Here's my clone.

Attached Files:

7. nice!

8. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I just score this IDENTICAL bass last night off of CraigsList. AWESOME Tones! It's good to know the difference between the Heritage, and the Classic. Mine is a classic as well, and is a Really Great little bass. I have a lot of NT Aria's as well. But the tone, light wieght, and Slim Neck put this one right in the mix of the higher end offerings. (I Got it Cheap too! :ninja: )

9. steviesilvers

steviesilvers

Feb 27, 2014
    Hereford uk
    sorry to jump in on an old thread, but Iwanted to mention I also have the exact same bass same colour.. same nicks and dings, same amazing quality and playability, had it for years and its been all over with me..